1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Basic info on wah pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scot88, Jan 19, 2008.

1. scot88

scot88 Member

I've been playing for close to 10 years, but never got around to buying a wah pedal. I think I'm going to spring for one, but I have no idea what the differences between the cry babies, voxes, etc. are. Could someone help me out here?

I'm a college student, so a $100-$150 price range is ideal. I am interested in the classic rock wah sounds (hendrix, clapton, gov't mule, etc.)

2. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

I would pick up a used Vox v847 from ebay for around $50. Sounds great and will give you a feel for the sounds. Then in the future you could spring for one of the more boutique offerings if you feel the need...

3. Doodles

Doodles Member

You could try several places or ebay. It's gonna be hard to pick up a decent boutique wah for that price. Check out Wilson Effects though they're close to your price range. Other thatn that I would look for a used RMC, Budda ect... on Ebay.

4. Shawn3786

Shawn3786 Member

I have a Budda Bud Wah BUT for less money the Vox Clyde is a great wah. Great sweep, good tone, easy to use. You'd be more than happy with a Vox wah.

5. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

I have a Budda...great wah, but no LED to tell you if it's on or off. That's a nice thing to have on a wah. Don't buy into the hype about RMC...I wasn't impressed. See, most of these custom wahs are built into a Dunlop Chassis...no big deal really. The best ones I've found are the Fulltone Clyde and the Budda. A wah should be heavy duty, moreso than any other pedal, because you're putting you're weight on it. Get a Budda or Clyde and be done with it.

6. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

[FONT=verdana, courier new,courier,tahoma,sans-serif]Not only does the Budda wah use
    the Dunlop case, it is actually built by Dunlop.

[/FONT]

7. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

Another Budda fan....You can get them used for $115-$125.
    It takes HB's and SC's equally well. The sweep doesnt have a bad spot in it.Totally usable throughout..I cant say that about the others I've used,and I've used a few. The Fulltone wah didnt do it for me..Too bright for my liking. YMMV-It all depends on what you're feeding it etc....

8. sandman

sandman Member

Stock pots on Crybaby Classics don't seem to be reliable. Mina came with a scratchy one straight from the box...heard a couple more guys in my area complaining(bad batch?). I personally wasn't lucky with the switch either... It sounds pretty good though.

9. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

bandofthieves is right about the Budda wah case and build. Who here likes the Clyde wah? Now that has it's own case and build, right? And how does Chicago Iron stack up? Living in Idaho has some downsides...nobody carries boutique stuff here!

10. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member