Basic Pedal Chain Q? and thanx!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sewellymon, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

Hi All,

1st post ever. Am new to this world (just gave up on my Roland GT-100 multi-effects box). On the last week-ish pulled the trigger on

• Vox wah
    • Boss flanger
    • Klon Centaur clone OD
    • MXR M75 Bass Ass Distortion M75
    • MXR Custom Shop Compressor
    • MXR Carbon Copy Delay
    • Boss Tera EchoTE-2 Tera Echo
    • Mooer Shimverb Pro

Sits atop a Pedaltrain 2 board with a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2

I know what all the articles on the 'net say, but you guys are hands-on doing it here and now, so would love to hear how to chain my new toys?

Also have an expression pedal. Not sure yet what I'll hook it up to? Or maybe save it for another box..

What essential box am I missing besides a tuner?

Thanks!!!!!

2. guitarsngear

guitarsngear Member

What you are going to get here is the same as what all those articles say, because those articles came from guys like us.

Personally I would probably go Wah - Compressor - Klon - M75 - Delay - TeraEcho (don't put in the shimverb)

just joking a bit - I had a shimverb and it was one of the worst pedals I have ever used. The demo I heard of the shimverb pro sound like it was in the same ballpark soundwise but hopefully that was just a bad demo and the pedal works for you.

Since the Tera Echo is a delay/reverb combo type effect you may want to play with it and see if it sounds best after delay and before reverb or as the last pedal in the chain, or possibly before your other delay.

I would suggest another OD of the Tube screamer variety, having a couple of ODs to stack with each other is always useful. Also a volume pedal if you are wanting to do swells.

3. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

This is exactly the input I need. Ya the Shimverb had not yet found a permanent place on the board. After buying it, I've done some research and have learned better units exist.

Ibanez Tube screamer the gold standard - or? And which FX box should I hook onto the expression pedal?

4. war-knuckles

war-knuckles Supporting Member

hey dude, nice (soon to be) rig! there is no "wrong way" and youll have to experiment to see what u like.

personally the way i would theoretically set your chain up would be....

(tuner when you get one)

Wah first,
    then compressor,
    the klone into the distortion (some guys say distortion should be before OD but i like stacking od into distortions and overloading the input)
    Flanger
    Carbon copy/tera echo, i would guess them to be interchangeable here just see which one you like first to your ears
    Reverb

i agree with the other suggestion of a TS style dirt pedal but i am biased. i really dig tube screamers and you can get some great ones cheap these days!

5. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Somewhere you'll come across instructions on what it takes to be a TGP member. It says there that one of your first moves should be to get on the waiting list for an Analogman King of Tone. Wait time is 8-10 months lately. Awesome twin drive/overdrive pedal and one pedal that costs more used than new (because of the waiting list and because not a lot of people are reselling them). Another cool drive is Zendrive, which you can now buy new with no wait cheaper than you can buy the original (pre-Lovepedal manufacture) used.

I've been having fun with a couple non-traditional EHX pedals lately: Freeze (sustains the note/chord like a piano pedal) and B9 (organ sounds).

What kind of music are you playing?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  6. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

Anybody know Caroline Guitar's Olympia? Blue fuzz pedal? Local shop here in Santa Barbara is touting it...

7. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Wah
    Comp
    Dist (you can interchange the OD and dist to taste)
    OD
    Flange
    Tera Echo
    CC
    Shimverb

The last three are also interchangeable so you might want to play around with the order to see which way you like best.

8. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

Martin.. you asked what kind of music I am playing
    Not a gigging musician. Just a not very talented enthusiast trying to get good sound!

9. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I like the compressor after my OD, fwiw. That way I can ride the guitar volume control to change the OD amount & timbre, while keeping a fairly even level.

10. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

Martin- I did buy the Electro-Harmonix Freeze! Did not mention. And dude at Pasadena's Red Zone guitar recommended the B-9 for its organ sound. I am on a jag.. gonna buy the B9 tomorrow. Kept trying to get that organ sound out of the GT 100. It was capable of it but I could never figure it out...

11. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

Next Q? (or 2...

My lineup seemed optimized per above suggestions. I also lost the Mooer Shimverb. The Strymon Blue Sky I believe is much better

Q's are-

#1) the MXR M75 Bass Ass Distortion hums loud. Noise Clamp or Smart Gate- or?

#2) where in below lineup do I place a volume pedal?

Vox wah
    MXR Custom Shop Compressor
    Klon Centaur clone OD
    MXR M75 Bass Ass Distortion
    Boss Flanger
    Boss Tera EchoTE-2 Tera Echo
    MXR Carbon Copy Delay
    Strymon Blue Sky

12. guitarsngear

guitarsngear Member

Hey, glad to hear the chain is working out for you, and the strymon will absolutely demolish the shimverb.

I don't have experience with either MXR gate so I will let others give an informed decision on that - from what I can see about how they operate and install in the chain I would be tempted to lean towards the smart gate.

Volume pedal is personal preference for what you want to do and how you want it to sound. I personally put my VP after my dirt and before my delays and reverbs (I don't have a flanger). This way when I am doing swells I hit the ODs with full signal and then build the delay - to me this sounds better then a low signal starting with the ODs because you loose out on the initial attack and generally don't get the same crunch when volume is brought up to full as you would if you hit it initially with the full signal. Also putting it after the ODs allows you got the same amount of dirt and attack at lower volumes if you are using the pedal to adjust the volume a little bit. Putting it before the ODs will lower the amount of gain you get as well as the volume.

13. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

OK.. it's not yet pretty (need George L's cables ,tidy up, etc), but I think I'm pretty happy for now. Basically it's

Fuzz > OD > Mobius > Timeline > Analog Delay > Analog Delay> Reverb

View attachment 2588

Only reason I put a 2nd analog delay is I saw on YouTube where Andy Othling used 2 analog delays to fatten his ambient swell sound. Seems to work (the Bluesky reverb in shimmer mode really helps, too..).

Couple of insights 5 weeks into my pedal journey. Decided to let the Mobius and Timeline create whatever sounds they can- and be happy with their multitude of possibilities. I dropped the MXR Custom Shop Compressor; far too noisy. Returned the Mooer Shimverb (junk). Strymon Bluesky light years better. Dropped Wah from the board but easy to add to front of the chain.

Right now, my big challenge is to set up the MIDI controller (DMC - 3XL) so I can grab the Mobius and Timeline patches and presets quickly.

14. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

First question you have to answer before anybody's responses are worth a dime is whether you'll be using your amp's dirt or simply using the amp as a purely clean pedal platform. Everything changes depending on that answer.

15. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

Thanks, Chris. To my knowledge, if I want to use my amp's dirt I really need to run some of the effects through the FX loop, ya? The 2 amps I use simultaneously are both Quilters - and they DO have a nice tube-emulation. Thus far I am not taking advantage of their unique sound with these pedals- because as you say, I am "simply using the amp as a purely clean pedal platform."

So that begs the question- how would you chain these 6 effects (fuzz, OD, time- based effects, digital delay, analog delay, reverb) and which go through the front and which go thru the FX?