• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Bass amp as monitor with xlr out to board

TubeeTuberton

Is this possible? The bass player in our band wants to use a small amp as a monitor on stage and also send a signal to the mixer at the same time. He's not one of those "I need to really loud and hear me" bass players. I don't mind him doing it if it sits in the mix. But I'm not sure if the signal will be the same or shared between the speaker output and the xlr output. One lower or less volume than the other or even distortion/break up on one or the other. Thoughts?

wynsmth

Silver Supporting Member
Need much more info. IS there a sound man, what amp, DI from the amp, pre or post eq, direct box??? It can be done of course.

Igotsoul4u

This is a very typical setup. Get an amp on stage that you can hear comfortably and send a DI signal out to the sound guy to fill in if necessary.

lpdeluxe

If your PA includes subwoofers, it'll work. I ran an Ampeg B100R on stage for a couple years. I set it on an amp stand and aimed it at the drummer's head, then ran a DI into the PA (the amplifier has a direct out built in).

makefast

This is my standard way of doing it (and most other bass players I know as well). You'll just need a DI (Sansamp or one built into the bass amp).

If he wants DI post amp-eq then he will need an amp with an effects loop or built in DI.

TubeeTuberton

Thank you for the replies guys. I'm sorry if my post was vague. I don't have a specific amp to tell you of. Your equipment recommendations in this would be greatly appreciated. Yes, there is a sound person. Yes, we have subwoofers. Currently, he, my bass player, is just going straight into the PA using a an active direct box, using the monitors and subwoofers/house speakers for all of his sound.

tech21nyc

Very common practice. Stage wedges are usually optimized for vocals and bass doesn't always translate well through them. Just about every situation I play in they will DI the bass unless it's just some small local bar with a couple of PA speakers on stands.

guitargod0dmw

If he wants DI post amp-eq then he will need an amp with an effects loop or built in DI.
That's not entirely true.
The FX loop has nothing to do with having a post EQ DI.
You can use a speaker level DI too. That'll get you a post EQ DI without using a built in. The industry standard Countryman Type 85 and Radial JDI are both capable of doing it

I'd generally advise to use a pre EQ signal so the soundguy can do whatever he needs to make the bass sound good in the room you're playing rather than fight with your EQ.

Thank you for the replies guys. I'm sorry if my post was vague. I don't have a specific amp to tell you of. Your equipment recommendations in this would be greatly appreciated. Yes, there is a sound person. Yes, we have subwoofers. Currently, he, my bass player, is just going straight into the PA using a an active direct box, using the monitors and subwoofers/house speakers for all of his sound.
Virtually any amp on the market these days will include a DI. What's his budget? Style of music? Weight or size requirements?

ultradust

Just one more thing to add, a good number of dedicated bass DI's out these days have XLR and 1/4" jack outputs, if you think that a pre-amp (er...I'm mean "prior to amp") line may suffice for a simultaneous stage and desk situation, if the bassist's base signal is satisfactory enough to work with.

A few fine pieces with a comprehensive EQ section such as the Aguilar Tone Hammer and a few others come to mind, though there are even cheaper/less flexible options, like the Fender Micro DI and this little guy...

fisticuffs

My bass amp is basically just a stage monitor. The soundguy gets a DI off my board after all my pedals, including my Novation Synth running through the same pedalboard, and I hear both on stage through my amp. I don;t like to muddy up the front wedge with bass and synth. I want vocals, vocals, and more vocals up there.

Trending Topics