Bass amp for Church

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by quinto, Oct 15, 2008.

1. quinto

quinto Member

My music pastor asked me what to get, and I have no idea. We were thinking a separate head and cab of some kind. We will be using it for stage monitoring and have a DI off of it also. The budget is $1000.00. Any input would be great. Thanks.

2. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

I have used a 1x12 Hartke and 2x10 Ashdown; both worked fine. There are many out these from which to choose.

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Pssst: if you haven't post this up in the Praise and Worship Forum too. Lots of very knowledgeable and experienced folks there. Link is on the upper left hand corner of this page....

4. quinto

quinto Member

Thanks for the heads up on a great forum.

5. thesooze

thesooze Member

we use an Avalon for direct signals (no stage amp) and a SWR combo for an amp.

6. msgdsrf

msgdsrf Member

Think also of using a good bass pre such as REDDI direct and then use Edens 210 bass wedge as monitor. That would be about a grand.

7. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

If the church isn't huge, the Ampeg BA115 is great. Has an XLR direct out and the 100W. and 15" speaker gives solid clear bass with a drum kit that holds up for probably up to 250 person congregation/audience without needing to run through the P.A.

8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I suggest starting with a 2x10 combo such as an SWR Super Redhead or Eden Metro, both of which can be found for around $1k on the used market. The DI's on both are first rate and if you find out later that you need more volume, both combos have more than enough power to handle a 1x15 or 2x10 extension cabinet.

9. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Really?

I've heard that the onboard DIs on the SWR stuff wasn't all that... umm... good. Not that I think mine's inferior or anything... I'd just "heard" the exact opposite.

10. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

On board DI's are obviously not the same as running a bass through a tube DI box and many engineers prefer to use their own box instead of what's built into the amp. However, I've done many live sessions with the Redhead and the DI and has always been fine. In a perfect world, we would all have Avalon U5's and REDDI's to feed the PA and SVT stacks for the stage, but with a $1k budget, I'd start with the Redhead or Metro and build from there.

11. Wing

Wing Member

A thousand dollars will allow you to have some pretty nice gear. I would go over to your closest Guitar Center to audition some Gallien Krueger amps such as the 400RB or 700RB. You can get them online at places like rmcaudio or ebay for less than list. You can also get inexpensive but decent bass cabs from avatarspeakers.com. Check out talkbass.com for way more ideas. I've owned an SWR Workingman 12 and played some other SWR head and found them to be quieter than their ratings suggested and did not sound great. You probably won't go wrong with a GK.

12. quinto

quinto Member

My music pastor and I are going to GC after Church today to audition whatever they have there. He did order an Avatar 4x10 cab after looking into them. He is leaning in the Ampeg direction, but I will make sure he tries some GK stuff too.

13. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I'm not a bass player but have been around several church groups and I'd suggest using a small bass amp as a monitor and sending a direct signal to the baord (if you have a PA with Subs). The mix of both into the room is nice.

14. quinto

quinto Member

We went to GC and tried a couple GK offerings, an Ampeg head, and a Mark Bass Little Mark II. We left with the Little Mark II. It was so easy to dial in great tones. The Ampeg had way too many tonal options for us. So many knobs and a 9 band graphic EQ. Thanks for everyone's input.

15. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Thank you!

16. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Here's what I use at church. A 50 watt Yorkville XM50 Bassmate. It has a XLR DI which is before the tone-volume controls so the sound man can do that for FOH. The amp is then used as a monitor which allows me to twiddle with the volume-tone controls for a pleasing stage level. I'm not dependant on the floor monitor. Our church focuses on moderate to low volumes and a clear sound. Why mess around with a lot of bass power when we have a bridged QSC 700w power amps and an array of bulkhead mounted EV 15" drivers. Obviously, a controlled drummer is the key. The Yorkville XM100 and XM200 also feature this XLR out if you need more power for monitoring.

17. Chris M

Chris M Member

Try a Markbass Littlemark II ($600 new from Guitar Center) and run it through an Avatar cabinet. That will get you way within budget and you'll have a rig that competes with anything. Plus if you ever need to move the gear it's a BREEZE. The head is less than 10 lbs! And the sound is terrific. Don't let any naysayers say that you need a head over 20 lbs. to get a good sound. That's bunk.

If you want a little more grit then try a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 which has a tube pre and is even smaller than the Littlemark II. It's more of a rock sounding head, while the LMII is more oriented for clean sound, but you can dial in a little grit with an overdrive pedal like a Sansamp Bass Driver.

I run a Littlemark II through an Avatar 410 and it works really well for my church. When I play out like at retreats I run it through an Aguilar GS112 + GS112NT.

18. case4bass

case4bass Member

The gk with 1x12 as a stage monitor and di to the board....200.00

19. FFTT

FFTT Member

For $1000.00 I'd search your church network to see if anyone was maybe willing to
    part with either a restorable SVT or a Hiwatt DR-201

Both of these circuits not only sound fantastic but they were built to last
    a lifetime with reasonable care.