Bass cab recommendation.

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Teleking, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

I have a Mark Bass head. I've been using a Markbass 2X10 and it sounds fine, but it just doesn't have the bottom I want.

I play a P-bass or a Rick 4001 through it. I'm not a "bass player" but I do play bass, and my bands rehearse at my house, so I'm looking to upgrade to a bit more bottom for our community bass amp. I'm not sure I want a 4X10 unless it's fairly light. I might be interested in a 1X15 or a 2X12. Would like to keep it fairly light.

What would you recommend in 1X15, 2X12 or a light be good sounding 4X10? Thanks

Probably looking to spend around $600 and not opposed to buying used.

2. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

Is it the Traveler or Standard cab that you already own? I would actually recommend a second of the SAME cab, stacked vertically on end, creating a pseudo line array effect. I do this from time to time with an LM2 and a pair of Ampeg 210AV cabs. Increases the low end, but also that top speaker up near your ear, and the lack of phase cancellation common in 410 designs, means its a super punchy, articulate sound. Some dig it (I do) some don't. If you MUST add a non matching cab, I'd go 1x15, voiced deeper than the 210. a 1x15 and a 210 put out about the same air movement, and will likely be more closely matched power wise than a 115 and 410. a 212 in a square box has always felt like a compromise to me. Lined up and set on end it could work.

That said, I am knuckle dragger and still schlep a tube head and 215 to gigs. Theoretically same cone area as the vertical 410, but it LOOKS cooler HA.

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

+1 on another 2x10" MB cabinet
    they're lightweight & you'll get a matched output

I had the Traveler 102P & they sound great, only downside is the crappy tweeter.
    (replaced the tweeter in mine after destroying it with overdrive)

4. adi

adi Member

5. eldorado2001

eldorado2001 Member

6. electricity17

electricity17 Supporting Member

I like the new Fender Rumble cabs. Seem to be voiced more “vintage” with a strong low-end. I’m playing a 2x10 I got used for under $250, also a 4x10 for not much more. Worth a look.