Bass E of HD28V

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by songman2, May 23, 2015.

1. songman2

songman2 Member

Hi all,

I want to get an HD28V. The one I am thinking of buying, and which came straight out of the box and for which I am getting a good price, has a bass E string which sounds just a tad quieter and less open than the D string and also (if memory serves me right) a little quieter than the bass E string of another HD28V I heard at another shop. That guitar at the other shop had however been hanging there for several months already. I have read, and heard that especially the bass strings open up with time and will become more "thunderous". Is this true?

Cheers, Bob

2. g6120

g6120 Member

Could very well need an adjustment maybe the nut or bridge therefore not getting the volume or bass response . I would get that where you want it before you lay your cash down .

Ive got a HD28V with no issues such as you mentioned .

songman2 likes this.
  3. songman2

songman2 Member

Thank you for your reply. I would like to upload a sound file (wav or mp3) but that does not seem possible, or is it?

Thanks, cheers, Bob.

4. 335guy

335guy Member

To post a sound file here, that file needs to be hosted on another website, like Soundcloud. Then you can add the link to a post.

songman2 likes this.
  5. songman2

songman2 Member

I've uploaded a soundfile on sound cloud at

I tune my guitar a whole step lower so DGCFAD. On the recording you first hear all notes high to low, then the 4 lowest ones low to high, then those 4 in reverse and then short strumming with emphasis on the two bass notes (Gm to Dm).

It seems to me that the A bass string sound fuller and boomier, whereas the E bass string sounds sharper, less voluminous, I do not know very well how to put it better into words.

PS In my first message it should have been A string and not D string of course.

Any opinions very welcome! Cheers, Bob.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i honestly think you might be "looking too closely" here; acoustic instruments aren't adjustable string-to-string, and the next person picking it up and playing it might not hear any of what you're talking about (both from having a different ear and from having a different playing attack).

one instrument might have a different balance of lows, mids and highs from another, but it's gonna be an overall frequency balance rather than a string-by-string difference.

if you're at the point of worrying that one string is louder than another one on an acoustic guitar, it's time to put it down and go do something else.

7. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

I didn't hear much difference, but that's me. That low E string had plenty of volume and great sustain. But if you hear it, the first thing I'd recommend is changing the strings and try it again.

8. songman2

songman2 Member

"if you're at the point of worrying that one string is louder than another one on an acoustic guitar, it's time to put it down and go do something else."

A bit harsh that :eek:, I've only been playing guitar for more than 40 years and my question was merely prompted after comparing the HD28V with my Larrivee D10. I was rather expecting the HD28V to have a larger bass-response than the Larrivee but it is the opposite.

9. JPF

JPF Member

It sounds balanced to me. I never thought of HD28Vs as being particularly being in the bass, which is why I like them so much.

10. Lo Blues

Lo Blues Member

I actually heard what you're talking about at the end of that clip when you play the chords. It's one of those things that I wouldn't know if it bothers me or not unless I play it myself. My experience has been that guitars will balance over time. So certain notes will mellow and others will become more focused. Of course there's no way of knowing what will happen to your particular guitar. For the amount of money you're spending it doesn't seem unreasonable to hold out for the guitar that won't make you second guess your decision.

11. 335guy

335guy Member

Looking at your Soundcloud clip while playing it back, it does show the 5th string being the loudest, and the 3rd string also a little louder than the rest.

Now, this could be the guitar, or other things in combination with the guitar. If all the strings are plucked with exactly the same force ( which is not easy to do consistently ), then I would say yeah, it does sound as if some strings ring/vibrate more strongly than others. It maybe a nut or saddle issue, a problem with the strings themselves, something nearby having sympathetic vibrations on the two louder notes causing them to excite more readily ( not likely ), or something else?

I'll echo Lo Blues advice and hold out for the guitar you don't have any qualms about.

12. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Well, your guitar was built to be tuned to concert pitch. Have you tried your experiment that way? Did you play the other guitar you are comparing yours to tuned down also? Other than those things, I would play around with other strings. I certainly wouldn't worry about it in terms of a structural problem. They are all snowflakes.

13. lawrencedesigns

lawrencedesigns Member

Wow! That was pretty snarky!

14. walterw

sorry, i just meant temporarily, like to go take a walk or something.

15. Lo Blues

Lo Blues Member

Good point.

16. songman2

songman2 Member

Yes, that is indeed a good point because when I capo at the second fret the sound of the E string is punchier and when I use standard tuning too. So probably it all boils down to the fact that the lesser tension takes some of the wind out of it. It's just that my Larrivee D10 does not have that phenomenon that made me wonder. But, actually in live use it really is no problem and I find the guitar really nicely balanced. So it was a NGD for me, since I got it :)

Thanks for all the comments and advice!

Cheers, Bob

17. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Not so much snarky as realistic. Its impossible to accurately remember sound, so comparing E string response to a HD28 that you played sometime previously is a stretch. If the E string ain't loud enough hit it harder. If you don't like the guitar don't buy it. Some folks might consider a dreadnought Martin with a less overwhelming bottom string a better choice. There is point where some players expectations of guitars in an inherently imperfect world can become selfdefeating.Acoustic guitars will have some notes that are naturally more prominent because of the nature of the instrument and human hearing. If the tad difference you notice seems like a deal breaker, that is the right decision for you.

18. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

When tuned to Open G, My Larrivee SD-50 has a dead spot on the 5th string 11th fret. Unfortunately there is a Leo Kottke song, and a number of Hawaiian Slack Keys I play where that note is prominent. And I mean, "lets sit here for awhile" prominent!:p

I just live with it. But if I were a recording pro, this othewise amazing guitar would be simply unacceptable.

19. walterw

i wonder if you could fix or even just move that dead spot with some different tuning keys, say some lightweight open-gear types?

20. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Possibly. I've done things in the past like clamping some mass on the headstock of other guitars, and it can change things. But since I play for me on that guitar, it's too nice to take out when I have great sounding ones that aren't so nice, and it's a pretty limited problem, I haven't messed around. Plus it's a Larrivee slothead, so it has proprietary tuners. You start asking people what's a drop in replacement, and the next thing you know you've started a flame war :p