Bass From Monitors Develops Behind Me

alivegy

I just bought a new set of Yamaha Msp5 monitors. I have them sitting 36" apart and 36" from my ears angled towards me. They sit on my desk ontop of a pair of Mopads from Auralex, those foam block things. So far the stereo field is great as is the treble and mid frequencies, I can really tell what is happening in the mix. The problem is that the bass sounds boomy at my sitting position and only really sounds full if I either stand up or step back a couple of feet. If I step back a couple of feet or even just stand up I'm amazed at the full sound that's coming from these small speakers, but seated at my desk the bass really falls off below 150 hz.

The speakers sit on a desk at the back of a room about 2 feet from a back wall and 2 feet from walls on either side of the desk. Does anyone have any idea of how to move the bass forward, or is this just a consequence of being to close to the speakers?

alivegy

The mopads come with 2 different pads, the main ones and some smaller wedges to further adjust the angle. I took out the big pads and only have them sitting on the smaller wedges which has helped a lot. Tomorrow I'll try putting them on a couple of other surfaces to see if it makes a difference. If I put my head in the corners behind the speakers there is a lot of bass back there so I'm thinking that I might need to grab a couple of bass traps and put them in the corners behind the speakers.

alivegy

Anyone have some advice on the best type of trapping for this problem? Would adding wedges in the corners help with this issue? Since it's in my apartment I'm not going to be able to do a ton and it will never be perfect, but I'm sure that it can be better.

Do you have a closet? If so, stuff ti with clothes, and open the door while mixing/monitoring.

That's a start, and it's free and landlord approved.

After that, I'd say look into corner absorbers like superchunks (google it and you should find out how to make em). DIY is your best bet...this stuff doesn't have to cost alot.

Cheers

Kris

Trending Topics

Top Bottom