Bass head for lead guitar? read this!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lucky Dog Guitars, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

In my endless search for gear & rigs I was taken back to a distant memory where I saw Reb Beach (formerly of Winger) in a live show with Whitesnake.

I recall his clean sound being beyond phenomenal.

A quick search on google & I found where Reb uses a Hartke bass head & a multi-effects processor for his clean sound & a vintage Marshall or two for his overdrive.

Has anyone had any experience with using bass amps through guitar cabs? Any opinions?... advantages??

I guess my initial thought was,, many bass amps have high wattage, so you could potentially have high clean headroom & good bass response.

Any thoughts?

2. donkers

donkers Member

i use a fender bassman, does that count?

3. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Marshall Super bass, Fender Bassman.

I used to use an old Crate Bass Combo with a guitar amp in stereo. In my metal days... :-(

dk

4. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

It would be laughable if TGP members, who live and die by low wattage tube guitar amps, would suddenly start playing high wattage solid state (or maybe hybrid) bass amps.

5. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I dont see how people get giggable volume in the clean realm with these 8 to 16 watt amps.. I understand the overdrive piece.

But I dont care if its within the restrictive walls of whats "cool" or the current fad.. If it sounds great, thats all that should matter.

Ive heard TOONNS of concerts, Reb's clean sound in that concert was among the best I have ever heard. On the flip side, his overdriven sound was right up there at the top too. I do believe the other guitar player (Doug Aldrich) had a little better overdrive sound.. he was using a Mark Cameron modded Marshall.

But back to the subject, I dont pick my gear based on it meeting some TGP snob's low wattage boutique-or-nothing standards.. ya know? (with that said, I have nothing against a low wattage amp, I understand the advantages they have in some applications)... but that doesnt mean it is the standard by which all other amps should be measured

We should just focus on what sounds good.. no matter the price or what it was originally intended for.

6. RichieRich

RichieRich Senior Member

+1

i need a minimum of 40 or so watts

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Pretty sure thats the case with most players. But by the same criteria, some of the new amps out there really are that good and I can understand guys being "proud" of thier gear. I don't see it as snobbery at all.

Personally I like it when I get great tones from unconventional gear. Theres somthing to be said for going against the grain.

BTW, 18 to 20 watts is dam loud in a coffee house, small club or a church. I'm thinkin thats about 85% of the venues that guys play live at here.

8. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

I use a bass amp for guitar, it's awesome.

Marshall Super Bass

not quiet the same thing though is it.

9. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Yeah.. I agree, low watt great for small places.. I've just been lucky & primarily played places with 400-500 minimum crowds since I started.. I know thats not always the case with some people. I've always played country & southern rock & classic rock.. I live in Chattanooga & there is no shortage of music fans in those genres around here fortunately.

Well.. its my own thread so I guess its ok to Hijack it.

A lot of people havent taken the time to look at Reb Beach because he's an "evil" 80's hair metal guitarist...

But this guy really deserves a lot more credit. Hes probably one of the most fluid players I have heard live.

Clean tone through the Hartke bass amp between about 00:30 & 1:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8yoOMCfSzk&feature=related

This shows some of his clean sound.. and heavier overdrive sounds... i was not 3 foot from the front of the stage so I got to hear the sound straight out of the amps... at 4:08 it shows some of his quickness too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w-dQiiS0s

Good solo about 2:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aSEtzYaEI

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  10. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

11. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member