1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bass ID help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by greasykid, Jan 13, 2008.

1. greasykid

greasykid Member

Guys, can you identify the Jazz on the left? The seller says it's a Japanese Fender but I wont see it till next week. It would need some work but I can see it has lots of potential specially the Greco. Sells for $150 for both. Wish he had better pics, though.

[​IMG]

And what should I look for to see if it's a real Fender? The Fender logo has too many versions. I can't tell which is which.

Thanks!

2. greasykid

greasykid Member

Thank you John! But I realized I made a mistake in the post. I meant the one on the left. The one on the right is a Greco Spacey Sound Jazz Bass copy with no pickups and saddles installed.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Ha! I never even looked closely at the one on the left, but if I had I'd probably have realised you meant that one :).

It's impossible to tell from the pic, unfortunately. It could be a Fender - US '60s, early '70s or Japanese reissue - or just a copy.

The thing that makes me think it might be an older American one is the shape of the body on the treble side of the neck heel - it seems to stick out very slightly beyond the side of the neck at the outer end. But it may just be a trick of the photo and I wouldn't bet even a beer on it ;).

The edges of the pickguard look thicker than a modern one too - but again it could be a trick of the photo, at that resolution - and there also appear to be two holes for a treble-side finger rest, and I'm fairly sure the Japanese reissues don't have those (but I could be wrong).

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

is it me or does that neck look awfully wide for a jazz bass?

5. greasykid

greasykid Member

Now that you mentioned it, hmm...

Thanks guys!

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I think it's the angle of the photo. Notice how large the head looks in relation to the body, and how the string spacing doesn't seem to widen towards the bridge. But the pic was taken from headstock height or slightly higher looking down towards the body. You can work it out from the fact that although the bass is leaning back against the wall, you see the tuner posts from straight on.