Bass Newbee Question

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by majorledhead, Feb 25, 2009.

1. majorledhead

majorledhead Supporting Member

I was thinking of picking up a bass for casual jams at the house and had a question about amps and speakers. I have a ToneTubby 2 x 10 cab and a Lopo line vertical 2 x 12 w/ scumbacks H55's in it. Would either of these cabs work for bass and if so, what would be a good, fairly priced head to get for on top of it? Or, should I just spring for a small combo ? I had a line on a 1991, made in mexico, jazz bass. Again, is this a good starter bass ? I don't think any of this stuff will get used that much, just the ocational home booze jam.

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

The old MIM J bass- great starter bass. Gives you a good feel of what the neck and bridge pickups (and both) are good for. You can get a P type sound if you solo the neck pickup...

I'd be wary of running a modern, low endy bass signal through any guitar cab with speakers designed with guitar freqs in mind- regardless of how much power you're putting out. The speakers just aren't made to be pushing 40 hz and the cabs aren't designed for reproducing it either.

Find one of those 200w SS combos- 2x10, 1x15- it'll do you nice.

3. Thor

Thor Member

More solid advice from the IntArweb Winner!!!

I agree 100%.

4. majorledhead

majorledhead Supporting Member

Thanks, thats why I asked. How about straight into my board and out into (4) 15" JBL EON monitors until I get an amp.

5. Thor

Thor Member

The Monitors are better equiped to handle the low frequencies. Start at a lower volume and see how it holds up. Should be fine.

6. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass Member

I would definitely recommend putting the bass thru the PA/JBLs vs. thru either of those cabs. Just get a good DI - or maybe a Sansamp...

7. joshmickelson

joshmickelson Member

those "acoustic" amps are a great value.

8. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I am getting back into playing bass, and just picked up a used MIM J bass with upgraded pups and Bad Ass bridge for $250 shipped. I also picked up a new/used Hartke Kickback (120 watts) 1x12 for $225 shipped. Great rig for practice/small gigs for under $500.

The Hartke has a line out, so you can go direct into a PA for a larger setting, and just use it for a monitor.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  9. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I've been hearing that more and more...

10. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

Heck yes, they kick all kinds of butt. I recently got back into bass and put together a small rig. I thought getting the Acoustic B200 combo would be a good amp to get me by until I bought a bigger rig like I had before. But to my amazement, this B200 rocks! It sounds killer and is plenty loud enough with a band. I now have no intentions of getting anything different. I plan to rehearse and gig with this B200. It's killer.

I think they're $329 or so new. WELL worth it.

[​IMG]

11. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

As an aside...

I went to GC today- we were in the neighborhood and I kind of wanted to check out one of those Acoustic amps...

There was a tiny little GK amp head. I didn't plug it in or anything, and I've seen the Genz Benz Shuttle amps... I don't know why I was so surprised seeing this tiny little bass head, might weigh a couple of pounds, smaller than the average book. It was either 500 or 700w or something like that... a fully functional and operational bass head. If it's like the Shuttle... That's scary.