• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Bass on guitar amp?

zekmoe

I had a dreaded Acoustic 164 guitar amp back in the day, and outside of pure volume for bass it was better as a bass amp for clear tone and recording, probably due to the huge speaker that it had. It sucked as everyone knows as a guitar amp.

plumberstrummer

Fatal3Records.com
It'll work and as long as you like the sound go for it. Just make sure the ohm and watts are correct, of course, but you sound like you know what you are doing. Ive found that the bass through guitar amp thing is often not as intuitive as one might expect, but there have been some amazing surprises. I currently use a two amp rig, guitar amp/ bass amp. But if you like the sound, that's all that matters: Does it sound good

Snakum

Played/gigged on bass for years thru a PV Classic 50 head and closed back PV 2x12 cab. It was my lead guitar rig but it was sweet as hell for bass too. Got hella loud and sounded excellent.

Have used C50 combos on bass too and it was pretty decent.

Robal

Silver Supporting Member
Carol Kay recorded in the 1960s with a Fender Super Reverb 4x10 for a clean bass sound. Depends on how hard you want to push the guitar amp, as guitar speakers may not handle the low frequencies that well.

In Absentia

It absolutely kills with my Fryette D120 into a Genz Benz 4x10. No loss of tone at all. I think a lot of folks have had experience with the Marshall tone stack and bass when trying bass and guitar amps. Some of the other designs like HiWatt work quite well. My favorite bass amp is the Ampeg V4b and it was only 100w, so I’m not worried about underpowering anything.

Trending Topics