Bass Player going out of State for the Winter?!?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2HBStrat, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff ^Is a Cool Dude Silver Supporting Member

Just book all your gigs in Arizona and I will fill in for you.

I gots da Bass Creds! Country, Funk, Rock, you name it, I play it. Don't even need to practice. Just give me the key of the song and I'm good to go.

time2kill likes this.
  2. SteveO

SteveO Member

No, he had a small keyboard on top of his main one that he played with his left hand.

3. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Find a sub.

I play with bands that use subs all the time. I also sub for two bands. I've received calls in the morning for gigs that night.

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

If we played standards we would do that.

Yeah, but we think he stole it....we just can't figure out who he stole it from....

time2kill likes this.
  5. Okra

Okra Member

Bass player sounds fishy...

You need a crappie playa';)

6. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Silver Supporting Member

7. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Text him that you need to talk on Sunday.

sprag, Stu Cats, 100JH and 13 others like this.
  8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Ha....good one!

But really the worst part is that we just went through a period this Spring when the drummer was gone every weekend with his son playing baseball and soccer. We couldn't book anything for three months because of that.....and its not really fair to sub or fire the bass player when he's doing practically the same thing the drummer did....except the drummer was in town during the week so we could rehearse and learn new music....

time2kill likes this.
  9. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

My mistake.. seriously though.. you need to make a choice here. Hobby band or working band. This one, between the drummer and bassist, is obviously a hobby band. At least for everyone else apparently.
    Before everyone starts jumping up and down, there is nothing wrong with a hobby band. Just don’t complain when people treat it as such.

Lef T likes this.
  10. Strat

Strat Member

Smart move- just how many bookings were you thinking you'd get those months ? Oh - and where are u - I'm not doing anything much this winter and so either is my bass rig........

time2kill likes this.
  11. Strat

Strat Member

no.

12. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Event band is the busiest of the two bands I am in for most of the winter. Holiday Parties, Fiscal Corp parties, Some Weddings. If you are in a state with slushy snow and salty mess crapola and booking cheap bars for $300-400 arriving at 7P and leaving at 3A you may want to ask if it's worth destroying your car over a few hundred bucks after the splits. If you in an area of moderate winters, then sure.

There are bar bands that book a lot in the winter, and there are bands that prefer summer event shows that pay 4-5x what bars do. I guess it all comes out in the wash in you book every weekend in the winter. I prefer not to book bar band heavy in winter. Jan Feb, I may book 2 shows those mos. We'll revamp the show, sets and work on tunes though. Event band is booked year round.

time2kill likes this.
  13. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Maybe Sue knows one...

Yes, a Fender Rhodes Piano Bass to be precise, but those things don't really sound like a bass. What he needs is a keyboard player who has a strong left hand (like someone else mentioned) who can "split" his keyboard and have a P-Bass on the bottom half and whatever keyboard you need for the right hand. I know one and he's a great keyboard player. Problem is that he's not only a diva, he's a raging alky...he recommended me for this band he was in, I got the gig and they fired him a week later. Great band, but they had a singer with divaitis and she was a beeyotch to the nth degree.

Still, since everyone has given up on him and he'll probably work for a bottle of vodka and some OJ, he's a lot cheaper than that Rhodes bass...

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Rhodes+Piano+Bass

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    time2kill and Kilometers Davis like this.
  14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Well, to be honest probably not a lot of bookings, but we usually like to practice and learn new songs once a week.....we enjoy that process and the camaraderie, too, and that will likely be totally shut down as well...

time2kill likes this.
  15. Peteyvee

Wait a minute...you guys like to practice once a week without gigs lined up? Screw that unless someone is paying me for rehearsals...

16. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

Gave several weeks notice he’ll be unavailable. What a prick.

17. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Lol ... I agree. If your doing Covers, learn the songs on your own. If your guys are any good that shouldn’t be a problem. I do a Duo and we rehearsed one time 2 years ago jus to break the new guy in. We learn songs all the time. I send my guy a list. He learns them on his own and we discuss it right before we play and that’s it.

I quess if you like hanging out together it’s fine. :dunno

time2kill and Peteyvee like this.
  18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Yes, we (I) like to practice. I like to learn new material. I even learn songs that the band isn't going to learn. Back in the day when the (at that time) band played 6 nights a week we rehearsed every day, too......

time2kill likes this.
  19. Peteyvee

Who does that? Why? Things were better before...

When I was in a gigging band playing 5-6 nights a week, we never rehearsed unless we were tightening up a new song. You guys are either really good friends or just like hanging out together. If you're playing 6 nights a week, you really shouldn't need to rehearse.

20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Well, that's unfortunate....

time2kill likes this.