Bass Player issues

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ToneDeVille, Sep 29, 2019.

1. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

I auditioned a bass player like that a couple years ago and he had no idea of how to play bass other than to make lots of low sounding noises, but he figured he was doing great because he kept the air filled with sound. Whew. :bkw

2. NamaEnsou

This guy is playing for the song, so no, it can't be him.

3. gjohnson441496lpjr

gjohnson441496lpjr Member

I'm a bass player. Unfortunately some bass players are as egocentric as guitar players. I also overplayed until I started recording my bass and drum tracks to play guitar over and I heard the bass getting in the way. I'd suggest recording a session and letting the band listen to the playback. I'm suggesting letting the whole band listen as to not single out the bass player and so that everyone can come to the same conclusion. If that doesn't work, fire the sonofa****.

AZJim likes this.
  4. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

I never even knew what a bass player did until I bought a bass. After learning a few songs correctly I love it.
    If you are a guitar player that wants to see how important bass is to the overall song learn songs like Stray Cat Strut, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, No More Mr. Nice Guy, Last Child, American Girl, etc.

Those are fun songs on bass. And if your bass player is playing on way off from what originals where he better be damn good. Because those original baselines are classic.

5. guff

guff Member

"take it down a notch, Jaco"

And players who play to serve the song, not themselves

stratjim and SWEENEY like this.
  6. el greco

el greco Member

You don't say! Who woulda thought... :)

7. NamaEnsou

Yeah, based on the OP I was expecting some guy not listening to the rest of the song. He's busy, but that song was just asking for it I tell ya! :D

el greco likes this.
  8. NamaEnsou

That's the only type of players I can enjoy being on stage with, ones who play for the song and derive enjoyment from it rather than feeling they're making some sort of sacrifice because you can actually hear the singer.

2HBStrat likes this.
  9. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Buy him the Jaco-B-Gone pedal.

ToneDeVille and Swami Asango like this.
  10. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

The reality is he's probably not happy in your band and you guys should at least communicate. If it's not a good fit move on for both your sanity!

I've played with bass players and drummers who overplay and it can be incredibly annoying! Not everyone is mature enough to be in a band and work toward a common goal. I played with a guy that I occasionally play with (4-5 times a year). The songs are kind of open arrangements as far as parts go-just charts and play something that works. He told me a little end of phrase fill lick I did was fighting with his vocal melody on a tune-so rather than make it about me I made a mental note and will try not to do that same fill lick on that tune. Whether "I" think it does or not doesn't get in the way of the melody really doesn't matter, he's the singer and if something I'm playing is distracting him from singing a part "I" am the problem!

I occasionally play bass gigs. I always joke and say "I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for my crappy bass playing" since I'm known in most circles as a guitar player! Almost every band leader says since I don't overplay they liked playing with me better than their regular bass player! One actually fired his bass player and had me cover all his gigs till I got frustrated and he moved me over to guitar!

AZJim likes this.
  11. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I own a nice Fender Jazz bass. Fortunately the most complicated thing I can play is dotted-quarter, eighth, half-note. In fact, I'm having that engraved on my tombstone.

12. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

I am fortunate and only gig with three great bass players. No way at my age I could work with anyone like that.He simply does not know how to listen. I played an outdoor concert last night for 1500 people and the bass player was rock solid on a $2800 Rick and Mark Bass rig. Of course I trained him myself many years ago lol!

13. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I'm primarily a guitarist, but I've played bass in a few bands over the past 5 years. I've been on bass in my current band for the past 6 months. There was no blueprint for me in this band. We play original acoustic rock and they didn't have a bassist before I came along.

The best thing we've done for ourselves is record every rehearsal, and then, actually listen to the recordings. My focus is not only learning the songs, but also not overplaying. I've stripped significant portions of what I play because not playing simply sounds better.

14. goldentrout2009

goldentrout2009 Member

I am also a guitarist who sometimes plays bass. I think the problem is that most rhythm players (bass or drums) just get bored playing simple songs. Guitar players gets fills, intros, outros, solos, etc. which can make even boring, repetitive 12-bar blues interesting. Rhythm players like lots of chord changes, tempo changes, time signature changes, etc. to keep things interesting. I have noticed that when rhythm players get to sing they don't mind playing boring, repetitive songs. Any chance you can get him to start singing, even backup?

Cb likes this.
  15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

But that's their function...if they can't or won't play the parts right, i.e. like the record, or get bored and feel the need to overplay, destroying the groove they need to just do something else...switch instruments, get in a different band whose music requires a busy rhythm section, or something, or quit. Its a whole rhythm section thing, but, as for the bass guitarist, it needs to be someone who wants to be a bass guitarist and not just a guitar player assigned to bass and playing guitar parts on low guitar...

16. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

the bass player in question has said before that he finds some of the bass parts boring. But he's 67 years old and has been playing bass since he was a teenager.
    You'd think by now he'd have figured out how to play for the song and not himself.
    ugh.

17. AZJim

AZJim Member

Wonder if he hangs out on talkbass.com, where I do as a (mostly) bassist. There's a contingent of folks there who consider themselves "lead bassists."

18. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Sometimes “dumb” is smart, less is more etc.

19. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

I understand where you are coming from OP. Seems that he is really under your skin too. That only makes it that much more annoying. Find your peace and don’t let it drive you nuts.

If you guys have talked to him and he keeps doing it, then he is not respecting the band. I would get the band together and stage an intervention. Lay out what the band needs, everyone speaks their piece, he says his piece. After that if he refuses to come to agreement or if he agrees but keeps playing lead bass, down the road he goes. Or it could be a case where you go down the road, if you haven’t played the politics right.

ToneDeVille likes this.
  20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

They consider themselves lead bassists as a positive attribute?