Bass POD or other direct methods

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by wahfreak, Sep 27, 2006.

1. wahfreak

wahfreak Member

I'm looking at going direct for bass playing. My first reaction is to get a used bass pod. I know there are direct boxes for this but they seem like one trick ponies. Anybody have opinions what would be the best bang for the buck (assuming I could spend about $250 or $300).

2. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I use a Bass POD sometimes to *supplement* my SansAmp Bass Driver DI, which it could *never* replace. There are other, more expensive tube DIs out there, but for the $$ the SansAmp is still the one to beat.

3. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

Check out the MXR Bass DI...nice sound, eq and distortion if you want it.

4. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I agree, the sansamp and the MXR beat the Bass Pod for me. The Bass Pod is good also, but doesn't sound quite as nice or mean in most instances.

rock
    bford

5. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

THe appeal of a POD to me is the built in compression.

I have the MXR box and have used it for years with mixed results. I've tried an RNC compressor, and recording without compression and then using software compressors on the tracks.

For those of you using this or the SansAmp, what are you doing for compression?

A

6. Roach

Roach Supporting Member

Had the Line 6 Bass Pod Pro Rack for three years. Really had a hard time getting a good sound out of it for recording. Got a Sansamp and it was great...so much better than the Line 6. In the end I wound up with a used Demeter Tube Bass Pre-Amp and it's the best sound I could get for recording. Not as much sound variation as the Sansamps, but the sounds it does is better than any I've heard.