bass reverb

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Brantleycoker, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Brantleycoker

Brantleycoker Member

what pedals do you use/ what have you used?
    my bassist is wanting a very lush reverb pedal that holds bottom end very well. he has had the holy grail and has tried my room mate but doesnt want to drop 400$ any suggestions would be great somewhere in the $0-$200 price range. thanks in advance!

2. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Quite honestly, in nearly forty years of playing music, I have never heard of using reverb on bass.

3. rev_cooter

rev_cooter Member

The Malekko Spring Chicken is a great reverb, and cost effective too. Haven't tried the chicklette but heard good things.

4. ellpolo

ellpolo Member

me either!!

5. Brantleycoker

Brantleycoker Member

Well we play alot of atmospheric and honestly strange sounding stuff he also uses some rythmic delays also it's very different but very neat at the same time

6. rev_cooter

rev_cooter Member

I don't know why someone would go to the trouble of posting a message to dog someone's creativity. If you have been playing for so long and have never used reverb on bass....GOOD FOR YOU. Some of us are trying to create something unique sounding. In todays industry nothing is sacred or off limits, you may not like it but it's the way it is. If you aren't going to be helpful DON'T POST.. That being said I have another recomendation for reverb ON BASS. Try the Dr. Scientist Reverberator. 9 reverbs that aren't "Brick" based. The bricks sound good but if you can afford it I believe the Reverberator sounds better and more unique.

7. Brantleycoker

Brantleycoker Member

thanks man that is a very helpful post in more than 1 way! he had been looking RRR but not sure about it yet, he heard markbass came out with a reverb pedal but hasnt seen or read anything about it yet. if anyone has heard and or tried that pedal let me know.

8. ourworldisgrey

ourworldisgrey Member

I have used reverb on my bass before, and the biggest problem I encountered was that that it makes the low end pretty washy-sounding. Definatly an interesting sound though. I would recommend the EHX Holy Grail.

9. rev_cooter

rev_cooter Member

In any pedal/effects system for bass I have found my favorite results with blending an effects out with a standard uneffected out. That seems to solve alot of the low end loss issues.

10. MattS

MattS Member

I am a bass player and I use reverb on my bass. I once owned a marshall reverberator pedal that sounded pretty sweet, inexpensive too, however the one i had had a noisy switch (not sure if that was common amongst them all or just with the one i had), so I got rid of that. I've also owned a Digitech Digiverb, which was pretty nice but I found myself wanting something a bit simpler (of the 7 modes I only saw myself able to use 3 of them) and started to eyeball the Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail pedal cuz a friend of mine had one that sounded amazing. I've also seen many bass players use the Holy Grail, it's a popular and awesome pedal amongst all. So I bought a Holy Grail, but when I put it in my pedalboard i found that it decreased my bass signal more than I'd like with the effect on, so I returned it and was considering the Digitech Hardwire reverb, which sounds pretty nice, but like I said before I wanted something simpler and I really liked the Holy Grail sound, so I decided to purchase the Holy Grail Plus which has a blend knob which will solve any issue i may have with the volume of either/both signals. I should be getting my Holy Grail Plus in the mail early next week. I can't wait! I hope any of this is helpful, good luck on your search

11. Hypersloth

Hypersloth Member

I have used the Holy Grail and liked it, but the bottom end does get a bit muddy. Lately I use a Bass POD XT Live that I scored for $155 last month and it has a low pass filter that has a user defined cross over so only the mids and highs get all spacey while the bottom stays deep and punchy. Reverb is awesome on bass, especially while I play my fretless in a sparse setting. Sounds great with my wife who sings and plays acoustic. Fake Joni Mitchell and Jaco! I heard the line6 reverb pedal can do that ( cross-over). Good luck.

12. babaseen

babaseen Member

I use the EBS DynaVerb mostly on the upright gigs but it's a blast to use when practicing the electric

13. pedalhead

pedalhead Member

can i add my £0.02?
    the marshall is a great reverb pedal. people tend to ignore it because it's not boutique, and seen as a budget option.
    I'm sure the switch issue the previous poster had is the exception rather than the rule though. all of my marshall pedals get loads of use and i have never come across a dodgy/noisy switch on one.