Bass through a guitar cab a bad idea? (Lemmy content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael patrick, Apr 26, 2015.

1. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I remember reading somewhere on the Interwebs (so it must be true....) that it is a bad idea to run bass through a guitar cab because of how far the cones flex for bass.

But here's my situation...

I'm working on a Motorhead tribute. The bass player is using my '71 Super Bass head. He's been bringing a bass cabinet that he's borrowing from the bass player from his other band (he's a guitar player in the other band...), but the thing is a beast to move and it's not always easy for him to get his hands on the cab on the days the Motorhead band practices.

I've got a spare Marshall 4x12 loaded with G12T-75s I could let him use, but I don't want to blow the speakers. We run the Marshall with the bass mostly rolled off, which is what hear Lemmy does. We play reasonably loud (hey, it's Motorhead after all), but the PPIMV on the Marshall isn't cranked up anywhere near max.

So what say you, TGP? Should I let him use it or not?

2. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

im no expert but im pretty sure u should be fine. Playing metal with a guitar at full volume thru those cabs must be at least as bass-laden

as some motorhead bass played at lower volume. But perhaps its frequency dependent whether u would get damage.