Bass through Guitar Rig with Bss EQ Pedal

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by cyphergears, Dec 30, 2018.

1. cyphergears

cyphergears Member

Hello,
    I want to split my bass to two rigs simultaneously: one bass rig for clean bass sound and one guitar rig for raunchy overdrive.

Without having to rig up a crossover, could I split the signal and safely send the bass to a bass EQ pedal taking out all frequencies under 200Hz or so, then send it to the guitar amp?
    Would this be enough to ensure I'm not hurting my 412 cab?

2. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Yes, any sort of high pass filtering will greatly help out your 4x12. A low E on a guitar is about 80Hz, so you may be able to high pass around 120Hz safely. I have played 4 string bass through guitar 4x12" without any high pass, but I wouldn't necessarily do that to low wattage speakers like Greenbacks or the like.

3. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

That's basically what dUg Pinnick was doing before we made his signature amp. He used an EQ for both sides of his signal chain. He just dumped the low frequency on the EQ to the distorted lead guitar side. It works great if you don't mind lugging the extra gear.

4. jimfist

jimfist Member

The Iron Ether Divaricator is designed to, among other things, allow you to do exactly this type of signal splitting, in addition to adding some of it's own unique effects (if desired). I own it, use it, and it works well for this application.

https://ironether.com/pedals/divaricator/

You could also use the Darkglass Microtubes X7 Bass Preamp Pedal. It has a parallel (full range) output, and when running through the EQ portion of the pedal, you can set its high pass filter and send the main output to a guitar amp.

https://www.darkglass.com/creations/microtubes-x7/

I'm sure there are other pedals that do this kind of thing - probably from a small shop somewhere - but not a lot of pedals have this specific combination of frequency splitting + full range parallel output features. Of course, there are more expensive and sophisticated multi-fx pedals (digital) that allow for this type of routing and filtering, but they're likely starting price is 2x either of the pedals listed above.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you'd be fine just rolling off the bass knob on the guitar amp.

treeofpain likes this.