• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Bass Upgrade Questions (classic vibe)

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
I openly admit my ignorance when it comes to all things bass. However, from time to time I find myself in a place where I need to stand in :drown

I recently picked up a Classic Vibe 60's Precision Bass for a steal.

Without going overboard, I'd love some recommendations from those of you in the know about what you might do.

I was considering the VINTAGE STYLE WIRING KIT FOR P BASS from Guitarpartsresource and some strings at the very least. If the basses are anything like the guitars, I'm assuming the pickup is just fine and above average for the price paid.

Anyway would love any input on reasonable upgrades and what kind of strings you'd put on it. I won't play it often, so I don't want to dump too much into it, but I would like to make it enjoyable to play.

RustyAxe

Not much needed on a CV P-Bass. Play it for a while, and see. At most a set of strings of your choice (I prefer flat wound D'Addario Chromes) and possibly a good pro setup.

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
Not much needed on a CV P-Bass. Play it for a while, and see. At most a set of strings of your choice (I prefer flat wound D'Addario Chromes) and possibly a good pro setup.
Are the electronics decent in it? I haven't even pulled the pickguard off.

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks everyone. Having not played bass very often I wasn't sure if there was something easy/cheap I could do to take it to another level.

I guess it's not needed.

BlueTalon

Thanks everyone. Having not played bass very often I wasn't sure if there was something easy/cheap I could do to take it to another level.

I guess it's not needed.
Depends on whether you are happy with the tone.

The easiest and cheapest thing to do is put new strings on it (and make sure it's set up well.) I recommend DR or D'Addario strings.

If after that you still think it needs upgrading, then your next step is to decide if you really like that bass enough to spend the money to buy a good pickup, and possibly eventually upgrade the hardware, or if you might be better off selling it and getting something better.

bigtone23

Just string it and set it up properly. Electronics can wait, if they need to be changed at all. Those CVs are a great line of instruments.

Trending Topics