Bassbreaker Owners?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vashondan, Apr 26, 2016.

1. vashondan

vashondan Supporting Member

What did you get and what do you like/dislike about it?

2. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

i just got the 15-112 combo and absolutely love it. I posted this in a thread that got nuked, so here you go:

it's an extremely nice feeling/sounding amp and very satisfying to just plug in and play.

this is a grindy, Fender/Marshall-hybrid type tone...it's got chime and harmonic complexity in spades, but not much of that scooped/glassy Deluxe/Twin tone...my favorite is what you hear here: gain most of the way up, setting on Medium, then back off on dynamics and volume to clean it up...

it's one of, if not the best, overall amp i've ever owned (150+) in that regard...it's much more tactile and pleasurable to play than most of the $$$$ boutique tube amps i've used over the years...I love that it's a single channel amp with 3 gain modes, low/med/hi, where each one starts where the previous ends...never really found an amp like that, with that much gain range in one channel...reminds me a bit of a single-channel VHT SigX, but in a small, affordable package...pretty sweet.

may not have enough clean headroom for a loud bar band, but if you need lots of gain range at a moderate output, it's a good option.

also, the digital hall verb is VERY nice sounding too...it blends nicely into the sound, rather than on top of the sound, or overwhelming it, like many in-amp spring and digital verbs have sounded in the past.

iPhone room recording of EMG-loaded ESP Ltd GL-256 (relic strat) plugged directly into Bassbreaker 15 112 combo plugged into DV Mark 212 ext cab. (sounds good on it's own, but a little boxier without the 212)

Clean with verb clip: https://app.box.com/s/vn6nruzmfq6rr9dxo13a5xpj8sdru4qd

i'm (clearly) just mindlessly noodling around on the med-gain setting and then also a lame Gary Moore-inspired higher-gain clip, but it's a good representation of the amp hi-gain tonality

cheers,

jason (buddaman71)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    tseliot and Hcklr like this.
  3. demea26

demea26 Member

Sounds good to me!. Not to derail....but how do you like that GL-256?

4. buddaman71

5. Der JD

Der JD Member

I have the Bassbreaker 15 head and 212 cab. Absolutely love it. In fact, I like it so much that it's made me interested in some of the other BB models.

The BB 15 has 3 gain "structures" selected by a switch. I'd say the only thing I don't like about it is the low gain structure. It's just a bit too thick...kind of muddy. No big deal, though. I get good cleans (but not Blackface type cleans) on the medium gain structure with the gain set low.

Overall, it's a thick, fat sounding type of gain. Some people who are used to really bright amps may even find it dark. I don't find it to be dark overall but I do keep the bright switch on all the time and run the treble higher than I typically do on other amps I've owned.

Great pedal platform too. I'm using several OD/boost pedals with it and they all sound great.

buddaman71 likes this.
  6. buddaman71

^DerJD thread is what pushed me over the ledge to buying mine...much appreciated!^ :)

PS: i agree that the LOW gain setting is the least useful/inspiring...honestly, i think running one of these and a 2nd cleaner/sparkly-sounding amp together would be a tremendous/harmonically-rich tone.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  7. vashondan

Thanks for the clips buddaman. Wish I could get that close to mr Moore. I don't gig so a lot of clean headroom not an issue but I do like clean. My Carvin Nomad has way too much so this sounds interesting. Did you perchance give the 7 a try?

8. buddaman71

i played the 7w head at the store, and it's the same basic tone, just lower watt package and no reverb from what i discerned. (I think it has boost built in though.)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  9. harvey j

harvey j Member

I to like the amp but it is very heavy for a combo,

10. buddaman71

It IS a pretty solid little amp, but fairly balanced to carry I think.

11. vashondan

The one thing I haven't heard in the videos currently available is how clean clean is. Any chance of a recording?

12. vashondan

Found a few clean samples. Thanks anyway.

13. buddaman71

Here's a clean clip I just made

https://app.box.com/s/vn6nruzmfq6rr9dxo13a5xpj8sdru4qd

Sounds really nice with the low gain mode, gain at 9 o'clock and master at about 2 o'clock.

It's got a really nice Jim Campilongo-type sound & feel with those settings I think. I find the reverb VERY sweet as well.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    tseliot and Hcklr like this.
  14. vashondan

Nice, Thanks much!

15. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

Bump! Any thoughts on the 007 model? I played one at GC the other day and was absolutely floored by it! Thinking of bringing one home.

16. Hcklr

Hcklr Supporting Member

I bought a Bassbreaker 15 1x12 combo yesterday. I've owned a TON of amps all in the boutique category, and I know it's crazy to say, but (for the price) these are the best and easiest tones on my ears I've probably ever gotten out of an amp. Every single tone with it's little 3-knob gain range is just totally outstanding. I agree with the poster above, think Fender/Marshall hybrid in terms of the feel of the gain. It's a really smooth gain that I'm always going for.

buddaman71 and coltonius like this.
  17. SPSurgeon

SPSurgeon Member

Just bought a 007. Wonderful at low volumes from sparkly clean to nice tube breakup at below hotel room TV volumes. Absolutely smoking deal @ $425
    My current "out" amp is a 65 Princeton reissue and the clean is in the ballpark, but this is better Tone at lower volumes (i think) - have played it 5 min in the hotel with my strat and noone banged on the door.

SciFlyer likes this.
  18. Tisca

Tisca Member

Would a BB sound good through CV30's? Thinking of picking up a BB15 head and only have that one cab.

19. vashondan

I'm setting up to buy the 007 combo. What do you guys think about the 10" speaker over a 12"?

SciFlyer likes this.
  20. buddaman71