Bassman 59 RI as a pedal platform...am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by demea26, Apr 5, 2015.

1. demea26

demea26 Member

I'm borrowing a friends Bassman LTD RI w/ Alnico Blues to see if I like it enough to buy. It sounds incredible on its own at a reasonable volume. Channels jumped, treble and bass set low (around 2), mids around 6 and presence to taste (around 6)...has a great clean tone. Everything that 'Fender' cleans are supposed to be.

My intention is to run my OD pedals through it for a cover situation. The chain goes like this Visual Sound H2O-->EQ-->DLS mk2-->Keeley SD1-->OCD v4-->TS2-->Les Paul.

My issue so far is that EVERY drive pedal either sounds super ice picky or super boxy sounding. The DLS I cant dial the brightness out of even with the presence on 0, the preamp at 9-10 oclock. I've played with the knobs and I'm running the tone way back on SD1 and OCD...but that takes the dynamics away from playing. I'm not digging it so far.
    I've tried through the bright channel, normal channel, jumped, ugh.

Is my pedal order wrong? Do I need to dial the amp in differently a a pedal platform? Should I be using different drive pedals w/ the Bassman? Have I been playing Marshalls too long through 2x12 cabs and the 4x10 is throwing me off?

I had a Peavey Classic 4x10 about two years ago and used similar pedals (OCD, FD2 and TS9) and don't recall having these issues. In fact, I think that could have been one of my best sounding rigs I've ever owned.

I would LOVE to have this as an A/B clean/dirty rig, but dont have the $$$ to pull that off at the moment.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I have the amp until the weekend.

2. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

have you tried each pedal by itself through the amp? Futz around with the amp's EQ too when using drive pedals a bit, what sounds great clean and what settings work best for dirt are seldom the same.

3. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

Dial all the EQ to 0 on the amp and start from there with an od set at noon. You should find something that works. Leave your EQ pedal out of it at first and use it to fine tune.

4. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

Plug into the normal channel only. Set the volume to whatever level you want. Use your overdrive, then adjust the bright channel volume(even though you are not plugged into the bright channel, there is channel bleed) to add in the right amount of highs. It should give you a great clean tone this way as well.

It's a great trick to know. You can also do the opposite by plugging into the bright channel only, then turning up the normal volume to add lows.

This is very different sounding than jumpering.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  5. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

My past experiences are that tweed style amps are very mid heavy and inherently do not take drive pedals very well. You'll get plenty of gain, boost, but hit harsh freq and lose single note isolation. I believe the 59 RI's have a mid knob, dial it back a little and keep your pedals fairly neutral.

You have an awesome platform, just tweak some and you'll probably be VERY happy.

6. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

Woah. I had no idea there was bleeding in the 59 RI's. Very interested in these now that I know that.

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I guess an amp stops being a good pedal platform when you never want to step on the pedal!
    But it sounds like you have eq'd it to sound good, but maybe flatten it out a tiny bit for the pedals by dropping the mids and pushing the bass.

8. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

Yep, just like the plexi's that evolved from them... :)

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

Do you have the same issue if you just use the normal input with the treble turned down? I have the same amp and when I'm using pedals for dirt, I require pretty different tone settings on the amp as well as different inputs.

10. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Maybe your drive pedals don't like that buffered H2O before them?

Never used pedals on a jumpered amp so can't comment on that except to say it sounds reasonable.

11. demea26

demea26 Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm getting closer to an acceptable tone in both the base clean tone as well as the dirty tone with the pedals

Man, I thought this was gong to be a no brainer! Pedals into a Fender :bonk

12. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

Another vote for NOT jumping the channels. The inherent signal bleed between channels works great for tone shaping... just like my JTM-45 clone.

I have a '59 Bassman LTD and run gtr/pedals into Normal Channel only, and adjust Bright channel to dial in/out a slight bit of high end. It helps control the fizzy factor; especially with OD pedals.

13. demea26

demea26 Member

I think I have this sorted out now. Thanks for all the suggestions and input.

Un-jumpered going into the bright channel input 1, volume on 4. Normal volume on 3
    Bass and Treble on 2, middle and presence straight up.

Seems to be a decent compromise of good cleans and pedal friendly treble/presence without being to bass heavy or woofy. I still dial the pedals tone knob back a bit, but also am using my guitar volume and tone knobs more like this which is fine

Thanks again!

14. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

15. Optimus Rhyme

Optimus Rhyme Member

I would think those alnico blues would sound great in the 'clean' department, but I can't imagine that amp with those in the 'pedal makes dirt' department. Way too bright for that amp.

I love alnico blues . . . but in Vox style amps, not Fender tweed amps and especially not in the '59 LTD. But what ever floats yer boat.

16. demea26

demea26 Member

Yes they sound great clean...and I'm borrowing the amp to see if I dig it first before buying it. Its not mine
    I'd think the Jensen's would work much better for OD, but I'm not ripping and replacing anything.

Its definitely bright for sure

17. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Hendrix fuzzface into bassman ri = happiness

18. demea26

demea26 Member

Just an update...
    Played the amp last night at practice and immediately knew it was for me.
    My guitar sound was clear, notes rang out and the other guitar player mentioned several times how well his rig and mine were jiving.

The DLS mk2 killed through the Bassman. Whereas I though is wasn't going to get alot of use, I played it most of the night. Boosted with an OCD or TS9, it was killer.

I did discover a new pedal though, since I'm a Marshall fan boy at heart. The Radial Hot British pedal I picked up used from Sam Ash. Where the DLS I feel is more an older JMP to JCM800 Marshall type sound, the Hot British is a pissed off modern type distortion. Gets me the 80's, 90's and heavier/fuller stuff I need to pull off in a cover situation, but if I ever need to dials in a less aggressive distortion. It takes up a bunch of space on my board, but its staying.

Now I just need to clean up my chops with all this clarity in my rig :eek:

Thanks for all the assistance!!