Bassman Bliss!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by p.snail, Jun 6, 2006.

1. p.snail

p.snail Supporting Member

I had a Silverface Bassman head when I was 15. I sold that amp, being the stupid teenager that I was, and have regretted it ever since. My buddy has a SfBm and let me borrow it for a while. He never uses it as he has my old Matchless Clubman now. I hooked it up to my H&K 4x12 and it sounded pretty good. So I took my Hot Rod Deville 4x10 combo. Ran stereo out of my pedal board from my Chorus to my Delay. All I can say is Holy (insert pertinent expletive here) Batman! I have never had a stereo set up before, but now I'm in trouble. I'm hooked. This is one of the best tones I've ever heard. The issue I'm running into right now is that the BM rig sounds way better than my HRD (which doesn't really surprise me). So if I dump the HRD what do you think would sound cool with the Bassman? My buddy said he would sell it to me and I'm really thinking I might go for it. Would a Vox AC30CC2 go well with it? Maybe a Marshall JTM45? What do you think?

2. TimH

TimH Member

It seriously depends on what you want from the rig. Do you want 2 distinct sounds on each side or do you want similar tones but maybe with a bit of definition by using differnt models from the same company? See what I mean? Really, this is going to be hard 'cause there is obviously a LOT of variety you can get from this kind of rig. IMHO I'd get something quite different like a vox...then you'd have the huge meaty tone of the bassman AND the sweet chime and swirl of the Vox. My favorite two kinds of tones, personally. However, I can see how a JTM45 would sound cool as that amp was supposed to be a "clone" of the early bassmans and so they'll share some charcteristics but not enough to be even close to indentical. My .02 YMMV

3. p.snail

I agree that two different amps would probably be a little more versatile. The only real issue I'm having with HRD is that the amp sounds sort of like it has a blanket over it when I engage my distortion pedal. I run the Eq pretty flat so I'm not really sure what's going on there. Could it be the 4x10's? Maybe I should try a 2x12 version of the HRD. The Bassman just seemed more 3D sounding. I'm gonna swipe a 2x12 cab from work tonight and see if that cures it.

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i just got a 1966 BF Bassman Head and i'm thinking about picking up a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia as well to run in stereo! Kinda of going with what was previously said ... balls of the bassman ... chime of the ghia.

word, jon

5. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Buy the Bassman and have it (Allen modded). Makes the normal channel the AA-864 circuit. Makes the bass side a Tweed Bassman/Plexi Marshall circuit.
    Use an A/B box and have both the sweet Fender clean and the Marshall crunch in one amp. I cost about $200 to do the mod.My amp guy can do the Allen mod on Bassman amps by the way. I'd heard that Allen may not be doing the mods anymore.My 66' and 69' have both been modded the way.Awesome sounding amps.

[​IMG]

6. themusicboxstudios

let me know if you ever wanna sell one ;).

jon

7. p.snail

Dave Allen doesn't really live that far from my house. One of the teachers where I work has that same amp with that mod and he really likes it. I have another guy who's sort of friends with Dave so maybe through him I could get that mod done. I still would want to run something different on the other side to get my stereo field thing going, but a great idea nonetheless.

8. TimH

TimH Member

get the AC30.

9. p.snail

Now I'm contemplating running two heads. If I have an AC30CC head and a Bassman head running one on each side of the cab do you think I would still get that cool stereo feel? I'm super psyched about this rig so far. The possibilities are endless.

10. themusicboxstudios

well here's the deal, i played this exact rig today while jamming with my buddy. 1966 BF Bassman w/ Z-Best Cab + a Vox AC30CCH and Vox 2x12.

at the end of the day, the main differences were ... the bassman is louder, less compressed, not as much clean headroom. The bassman has the raw thing going on that i absolutely love. The AC30 sounded VERY similar to the bassman, but it seemed to have a sort of sparkle and sizzle that the bassman couldn't get. Although both amps are very similar ... they both have great things to offer. the ac30 would be more versatile on it's own, but the bassman just has something that takes the cake IMO.

With that said, i'd look into some other amps to get a larger tonal pallet, but the 2 amps together sounds absolutely HUGE and very very balanced when played in unison.

peace, jon

11. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Curehardy, e-mail me and let me know if your interested in getting a 66' Bassman with the Allen mod. I can get one from my amp guy. I can get it for you unmodded as is, or with the mod. The head is in good condition and pretty much looks like mine in the pic.

12. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

13. Rocknrollampsinc

Rocknrollampsinc Supporting Member

Thanks for the comment
    regards