Bassman for Bass vs Bassman for Guitar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BlackT-Shirt, Feb 5, 2015.

1. BlackT-Shirt

BlackT-Shirt Member

Besides increasing the power, how do the newer Fender Bassman amps for bass differ from the ones guitar players use. As a guitarist, would you rock the new 100-watt Bassman?

2. EagleDo

EagleDo Member

3. wyatt

wyatt Member

For decades (since the '80's), Fender's Bassman line (like the solid-state Bassman 200 and 400) have be true modern bass amps. The modern bass amp is full-range/flat-EQ, akin to a PA or keyboard amp, they tend to be very sterile/hi-fi for guitar.

Don't know much about the current Bassman Pro/Super Bassman. It's got a big retro/RI vibe going for it, but they don't seem to be cross-marketing it for guitar. Looking at their site, it Fender seems to be scaling back big time on the bass amp market, I wonder if they have a daughter brand they are deferring to.

As far as the vintage tube amps ('50's through early '80's), those were always more guitar amps that Fender marketed for bass.

4. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Well put. The original ones were made for bass, they just sucked at it, but worked well for guitar.

5. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

As Wyatt pointed out, the vintage Fender Bass amps were great guitar amps. Most of the bass amps in that era were pretty good guitar amps.

Modern Fender Bass amps are exactly that... Modern Bass amps. (59 reissue Bassman aside... That is a guitar amp)

I wonder if Fender will ever reissue the blackface or silverface era Bassman heads? Seems logical given the rest of the reissues they've done the past few years.

6. tuj

tuj Member

I have a Silverface Bassman 100 that I have used for YEARS with a 4x12 as a guitar rig and it sounds fantastic. As a bass amp, it was always crap. I highly recommend finding a SF Bassman head and giving it a play through a cab loaded with good guitar speakers. The amp really shines. The bass channel is a bit dark, but the 'instrument/guitar' channel with the Bright switch is clean Fender heaven.

7. Rick51

Rick51 Member

If you like an Ampeg B15N for bass, you will like the old BF Fender Bassman. Very similar sound, the Fender has a lot more power.

8. EagleDo

EagleDo Member

Is the 59’ Bassman reissue anything like the real thing?