Bassman Head Slow to Power

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by hubert, Sep 1, 2005.

1. hubert

hubert Member

I have an old SF Bassman head cconverted to blackface and completely re-done some time ago; when I turn it on it is extremely slow to power on - it doesn't sound like it's warming up in that gradual tube way - it just goes WHAM - it's on - but it takes longer than it used to. I'm going to bring it to my amp guy, but was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what he might look at - thanks!

(in case anybody's wondering who I am, I tend to lurk but not post - but I'm another refugee from the Fender Forum, kicked off there for daring to disagree with its founding father) -

2. hubert

hubert Member

c'mon, someboday must have an idea -

3. hubert

hubert Member

well, nobody wants to help, so I'll give it a try - stand in a bucket of water (preferrably outside during a thunderstorm), open the back, and examine each capacitor with your tongue - after powering up - the resulting brain damage will lead you to think that the amp is powering and that you are playing the guitar 24 hours/day - Enjoy!

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Difficult to tell, but it sounds like a preamp tube that may be getting a little old.

5. hubert

hubert Member

thanks John - that sounds better than my tongue idea - will do some swapping tonight -