Bassman help please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kuntry09, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Kuntry09

Kuntry09 Member

Hey guys I'm looking at getting a '65 or '66 Bassman (I can't remember which year it is at the moment) and I was wanting to get some clarification on what I need to look for before I buy it. I know that there are different circuits and a lot of times they get modded so I'm just needing to know what I need to look for so I know exactly what I'm getting. The man says that it's been gone through and some of the parts replaced but I'm not exactly sure at the moment what that means. Thanks for the help.

2. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Simple Fenders [but a hard to answer question, perhaps]. Depends on the price. If it's good and it works good, just get it.
    Can you submit a pic?

3. krall

krall Supporting Member

From mid '65 til end of blackface era ('67) it had the AB165 circuit, which is probably the one you're looking at. Great amps!

4. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

But... If it is the aa864 that preceded that... Wow, great amps.

5. Adman103

Adman103 Member

Make sure the filter caps (found on the underside of the chassis next to the transformers, and they should be covered up by a metal lid) have been changed- those are only good for about 10-15 years or so. Also make sure it's got a 3 prong power cord. If it doesn't have both of those, make sure you see a tech to get them done. They are both necessary. Aside from that, if it sounds good, it is good! Make sure all the pots are working and clean (i.e., not scratchy), and it should be reasonably quiet.

The Bassman rocks. Great, great amps. Loud as all get out, so have a good time with it! Let us know how it goes.

6. krall

krall Supporting Member

Yeah, but he said it's either a '65 or '66..If that's the case it's not a AA864 (only made at end of '64). I have the rarer AA165 circuited version (early '65)

7. Kuntry09

Kuntry09 Member

The price at the moment is $600. It's in a local music store and is on a ledge with a bunch of other old amps/guitars so I'm not able to get a picture right now. I'm going back tomorrow to give it a looking over and actually play it.

It actually belongs to the owner of the place and he said he did a gig with it not long ago so I'm kinda guessing that everything should be replaced and such. WE shall see!

8. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Ah... I was thinking they stretched into early 65... Maybe that was just the tube charts ; )

If its an ab165, that's kind of pricey unless it's a museum piece.

9. krall

krall Supporting Member

Yeah, Leo didn't waste the tube charts, lol

10. Kuntry09

Kuntry09 Member

I came across a different amp today at another local store but It was a SF. The guy said it was a '68/'69 but since I really didn't know what I needed to look for to date it that's all I got to go on. It was in pretty rough shape, far from mint or good by my standards. Apparently it had been sitting for a while and he said he didn't think the caps and such haven't been replaced. The tolex had some tears here and there and the faceplace and metal had corrosion on it, a considerable amount in some spots. It did however had a 3 prong cord. It sounded great other than a bad tube/dirty tube socket that was making noise and scratchy pots. He was asking $600 but it's on consignment so I'm not sure how low I would be able to get it. To me this seems extremely high considering that it may need work and new tubes and such. What price would be reasonable and would this be a better circuit compared to the '65/'66 or are they the same?

11. Kuntry09

Kuntry09 Member

12. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I have a '64 Blackface AA 864 (all the dates and circuit checked out) in great shape that I got for $475. last Spring. I had to have the caps replaced, normal maintenance, for around $150. and it's sounds spectacular. Personally, I'd stick with a Blackface in the $500 - $600 range. $600. is really too much for a Silver face Bassman in my opinion.

13. 62deluxe

62deluxe Member

The 65-66, if it's in good condition and has the 3-prong cord and replaced caps is a reasonable buy at $600. This is a better circuit than any silver-faced BM, with the exception of the '68 drip front model (also the AB165 circuit). These are denoted by turquoise paint on the siver face (as opposed to blue) and the metal edge around the front grill cloth. These silverface amps are exactly like their blackface brothers, but you can usually count on getting $100-150 off of the BF price.
    That beat up SF is not a good deal. Stick with the blackface at that price.