Bassman LTD little brother(s)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Soundhound, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

This got lost in another discussion, so thought I'd ask it again:

I played a stock Fender '59 Bassman LTD in a store and loved it. I thought it was warm and full, just great. I might just have to get one though I've got my amp situation covered and it would be overkill. But then, overkill is my middle name :p

My question is, is there such a thing as that sound (I know, it's partly those 4 10s) that full and rich, meaty, swirling tone, in a smaller, lower powered amp? Or am I making things up again? Thanks!

2. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I have to say, I was wondering the same thing. I stoped in the local GC and thay have 4 diff bassman amps. I grabed a bunch of guitars to try the LTD out. Found a RI 52 Tele that was killer with it. I had to try my Eric Johnson out with it so I came back the next day. They had the LTD next to a normal RI that had RCA's and other NOS types in it. I felt the LTD was just steller sounding. I mean like can't get it out of my head sounding, and I am not even lookin for an amp like it. It just sounded so right....I have played many poor sounding Basmans that prolly needed some care. Never payed one that was good sounding. I just kept playing old ZZ top, and Hendrix stuff and it was so right sounding. No wonder a good 59' bassman is much $$$.

3. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I know what you mean, HD. I had the same reaction, (was playing a 52 ri tele into as well btw :dude) but it's way too loud for home and too big to shlep to gigs.

4. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I want to bump this. I do not know much about Bassmans, but I bet there is a 2x10 version. Maybe the Bandmaster?

5. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

What about a Bruno Tweedy Pie 18? Expensive but apprently a great amp. see a thread still running within the last couple of days.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Don't kill me for this, and I know it is NOT in the same league as a Bassman, BUT....

I have been really impressed by what I am getting out of my "at home" amp (which I am tempted to use as my gig amp, at least when I know it will be mic'ed...) which is a Peavey Classic 30. I have it attached to a 2x10" open back cab also and that helped enormously to get a bigger sound out of it. I liked it before that, but it sounded one dimensional, not as full, the 2x10" changes the character of it and I am getting some incredibly sweet sounds out of it that are...and I AM being careful here, reminiscint of a Bassman.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Forgot to mention. The little pedal that is helping get "that" sound, is a MI Audio Blues Pro.

8. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Same reaction. I played through a real '59 Bassman belonging to a harmonica player I used to gig with (real tone hawk - he never turned that amp up beyond 2); that got me started. I bought a RI Bassman (one of the 1st ones) based upon that experience. An "okay" amp, but compared to the real .59 Bassman I was underwhelmed. Then I tried a Bassman LTD at Guitar Center. Schweeeet. I did give my Mastercard a look, but ultimately, by the time it starts to do its "Bassman" thing it's too loud for most of my gigs, and with two nasty degenerating disks in my back - too heavy to shlep out of my basement, then out of the trunk of my car (which is how i hurt my back to begin with - damned Ampeg Porta-flex). My Budda 4x10 Twinmaster is about as heavy as I wanna go...

Ah well.....

jb

9. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

I have felt for a long time that the '59 5FA(?) circuit was one of the best out there. I have never listened to one through a 4X12 but understand from someone with a great set of ears it is um-bee-veav-able. It would be great if someone builds a 20-30 watt head based on the same preamp parameters and 5881's or 6L6's, that could be ran into a deep 2X10.....
    BZT

10. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

11. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I don't think anything is going to sound like a bassman except for a bassman.

12. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

The Bandmaster is 3x10.

You could always remove 2 speakers, or get a custom pine chassis built to house the guts and a 2x10.

I'm thinking about myself...

13. haslar

haslar Member

I tried the Bruno Tweedy Pie 18 head, and, man, that is a sweet amp.
    Not too expensive either.
    I think it would be great with a 2x10" open back cab.
    Easy to carry, great tone.
    Plus, the 18W version would do the Bassman thing at realistic levels - whereas the LTD would require a higher sound pressure.

14. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

I'm surprised no one mentioned the tweed super. 35watts, 2x10.

Then again, its not the bassman circuit...but great in its own right.

15. ES350

ES350 Member

Super, Pro, Bandmaster---pretty much the same circuit, smaller OT/PT, concertina PI; a lot less clean headroom than a 5F6A (big OT, long tail PI). What does come close to a smaller Bassman is a 5E5A circuit with a bigger OT into a 3x10"....30 watts on a good day but still has some headroom.

16. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Use the ProJR at full and it will suprise you,And if you want replace the speaker or use an EXT cab,the JR without reverb has more of the tweed tone then the Blues JR,and the ProJR has great tweed tone at full and it very tolarable,I put mine on a chair and have no problem with leads or headroom in clubs where they complain of the Guitar volume.:BEER

17. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Anyone know any amps that follow these specs ES350 suggested below?

18. Bongo Jonny

Bongo Jonny Member

what about using the bassman with an attenuator? I played a LTD version in London last week and it was brilliant. however i agree its a bit loud. couldn't crank it in the shop. maybe a hotplate would make the difference

19. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

VERY GOOD!

20. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

bassman would be cool if you took tweed super transformers and put them in him. Then you would lower your power down nicely. Weight too.