Bassman LTD Master Volume? Other Mods? Other amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hobageeba, May 23, 2008.

1. hobageeba

hobageeba Member

Just wondering if anyone out there has done some sort of master volume mod (without sacrificing tone) on a Bassman LTD. It's just too stinking loud. Any other suggestions to attenuate volume or lower the output or something?

I also have a few other problems with it and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on fixing them....

I find the low end too flabby/farty and would like to tighten it up. It's also too bright. Changing speakers perhaps? I've read that the original reissues had Eminence Blue Frames and that the sound is tighter and darker...I wonder if that would do it. I'm thinking of trying some beam blockers as well, since I find the amp to suffer greatly from the "stand to the side, it sounds great, stand in front it and it's piercing" effect. I'd also be willing to (just cause it'd be fun) to swap the circuit board out with a PTP board so I'm wondering if anyone knows any tricks with modding the circuit a bit to achieve what I'm talking about.

I also find the mid control to dial in more harshness when I'd like it to dial in more of a sweet sounding midrange. I wonder if the speaker change would help with that, but if not, I wonder if I can swap something in the circuit to change the focus of the mid pot.

Finally, I'd be willing to try a different amp if anyone has suggestions. Other than the fact it looks sweet, I like my Bassman for the way it breaks up. I really like the more open, rich (but not over saturated), classic sounding overdrive it has. And of course the cleans are beautiful. If anyone knows an amp that has similar overdrive but tighter low end, less harsh top end, and more reasonable volume, do let me know.

Any suggestions/discussion is more than welcome. Thanks!

2. hobageeba

hobageeba Member

I actually have a Marshall 8x10 cab that has Celestion Vintage 45's(?) and it actually sounds super dark. I wonder if I could swap out the Jensens in my Bassman for those. I'm not sure how the ohmage would work though...

Anyone know of any master volume mods for these? By the way, I tried the THD Yellow Jackets and hated what they did to the amp. It definitely dropped the output, but it made the amp sound thin and added a buzzy/sizzley top end that I couldn't dial out.

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Don't change the speakers just yet, do this instead. Try the amp this way, Normal channel - Bass 4, Middle 5 to 8, treble 3 or 4 and presence 5 to 6.

I had one of thes eand the Jensens needed some beat down time, I ran it this way for a couple months of heavy pounding and the speakers smoothed out a lot.

To reduce the flabbiness run the bass lower or get it off the floor slightly. These amps are probably the best deal going.

4. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

Tough call. I tried Celestion V10's in there, but they didn't fit in one of the top positions due to the transformer.

But I did create a wiring harness that alowed me to run the Bassman's out to my Marshall cab and it was glorious. Everything I didn't like went away. Sounded much like a JTM45, I'd imagine.

Then I ran my JCM800 head to the bassman speakers - sounded just like the bassman did - harsh harsh harsh, farty bass, a real mess.

That's when I figured that a speaker change would make a HUGE difference. Problem is at about $400 to change all 4, it's an expensive experiment if you don't like the ones you bought.

I agree with Harry that they do improve, and the amp is a great deal. But after 18 months of break-in, I'm still keeping my volume at 4 and pushing the amp with a pedal to avoid the harshness and fartyness that come when the amp is pushed.

5. hobageeba

hobageeba Member

Yeah, I find the bass basically becomes a mush knob after about 4 or 5. I have practically no treble dialed in because I find it to be so bright, and like I said, the mid knob seems to dial in a harsh midrange rather than a nice smooth one. I've played it quite a bit...definitely put enough time in to have the speakers broken in by now.

Sucks, cause I really dig the inherit tone of the amp, there's just come qualities I can't seem to get rid of that I don't like, or qualities I can't dial in that I want....

6. hobageeba

hobageeba Member

Whoa...can you let me know how you wired the amp to be able to be plugged into an external cab? Did you just wire all the hot and grounds of the speakers onto a mono 1/4 jack?

7. Axeplyr

It's pretty easy...

The speakers connect to the amp via 4 RCA jacks. So you'll need to make up a cable with a single male RCA jack on one end, and a single 1/4" mono male instrument jack. Be sure to use speaker cable and not instrument cable.

Disconnect all 4 of the RCA jacks going in to the Bassman from the speakers.

Take the cable you made and plug its RCA jack into any one of the 4 RCA plugs on the Bassman.

Take the 1/4" instrument jack and plug it into the desired cab.

Important - the chosen speaker cab must be either 2 or 4 ohms!!! The Bassman transformer is 2 ohms, so any more than 4 ohms is not recommended. You might get away with trying it for a couple of minutes, but I would not recommend it.

8. hobageeba

hobageeba Member

Awesome. Easy enough. I will definitely try that. Problem is, I don't own any 4 ohm cabs. I've got an 8 ohm 2x12 cab. Maybe I can try that out for a sec? I'm not too familiar with ohmage and whatnot, but as far as I know, isn't it safe as long as the cab is a larger ohm than the head?

9. Axeplyr

I'm assuming that if it's an 8-ohm 2x12, it must be either two 16-ohm speakers in parallel, or two 4-ohm speakers in series. Most likely it's two 16's in parallel; however, if it's two 4-ohm speakers in series, you can wire them to parallel for a 2-ohm load.

At 8-ohms, you can certainly try it for a short period of time. Don't get carried away though, and keep in mind that the tone will also be different than it would be for a 2-ohm cab. I imagine you'll still dig the tone though. :) And it will confirm your speaker suspicians.

10. hobageeba

hobageeba Member

It's a Mesa 2x12. They're Celestion Vintage 30's so that'd be 8 ohms, right? I'm not sure if it's wired in parallel or series....

11. Axeplyr

Only way to know is to open up the back and look at the speakers. If they are 16 ohms each, then it's wired parallel for 8 ohms. If they are 4 ohms each, then it is wired series for 8 ohms.