1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bassman LTD vs. Super Reverb RI, best gigging amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by No Code 5, Jun 24, 2005.

1. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

Well, I decided the Super Twin Reverb was just too big to gig with practically... so I am looking at other options.

I am looking for a dependable and reasonably priced (~$1000) amp for gigs. I have been leaning towards Fender (6L6) tones and am considering the Bassman LTD and SRRI as they both sound pretty nice and have moderate power (40-50 watts).

I am interested in some plus and minuses with these amps. Obviously, the SRRI has reverb and vibrato on board, but the Bassman has a more aggressive circuit.

I will be using a 335 with '57 classics, and an ash tele with standard setup. I like to keep pedals to a minimum, but have no problem with some overdrive or an attenuator if needed to get my lead tones.

Any experiences with these amps and these guitars is appreciated. I have played them both and really they both have +/- ratings.

How's the headroom? How's the natural overdrive? How's the eq? performance in a two guitar rock band?

Thanks.

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Well, I prefer the Blackface tones on the Super Reverb. I love Tweed tones but the *reedy* sound on the Bassman can get a little bright and harsh sounding. They are both great amps and LOUD! They Super will stay cleaner and smoother and the reverb is very lush. The vibrato/tremolo is a nice touch and good to have on tap.

For versatility, the Super Reverb is a tough amp to beat. The sweet spot on both amps is pretty loud and may be too loud for small gigs.

Personally, these used Ramblers that are for sale in the Emporium represent a tremendous value. For a few more bucks you get an amp that does both blackface and tweed tones and is far more portable.

Anyway, if it came down to the Bassman or Super Reverb, I'd take the Super Reverb. I think it's the best amp the Fender is making. My only gripe is it's a mutha to lug and is fricken loud. Still, it's about the best amp on the planet with a Strat...

3. B Vance

B Vance Member

If you are looking for the Super/Bassman sound but want something a bit different at about the same price, check out the Dr Z Z28. The 4x10 version is great.

With a tele I would almost say that the Bassman would be the better of the two options because in my opinion the Super makes the tele a bit too shrill for me. However, I can't think of an amp that I would rather run a 335 through than a Super. The z28 would be a great match for both guitars.

Bassman 45watts and Super 50watts not much difference.

Jumping channels in the bassman is pretty cool for getting those creamy blues tones.

4. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

For some reason I am drawn to an actual Fender made amp.

I don't know if I am just caught in the vibe or what...

I agree both amps have their strengths. At lower volumes, the Super blows the Bassman away because of the reverb to my ears... the warmth added by the reverb is tough to beat.

However, I think the bassman/tweed overdrive is much better for rock 'n' roll music.

With a Super you can get your warm clean with decent headroom and then use pedals to color the overdrive to taste.

It's the case of comparing to very good tasting pieces of fruit... neither one is bad.

I agree the Super/335 sound pretty killer together... as did the tele/bassman. Ever try an attenuator with either of these?

5. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

We really are going to just have to meet up one of these weekends and let you run through all of my gear. :)

I've got a SF Super Reverb and a Dr. Z Z-28 you can try out. I think you would completely love the Super Reverb if you're digging the 6L6 Fender tone. Though I also wouldn't be surprised if you love the Z-28 as well. Both amps can be picked up for what you're looking to spend.

I thought I was going to be out of town this weekend but it turns out I'm not. Shoot me an email/PM if you wanna try and come up this weekend.

6. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

7. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I like the Super Reverb. THe sweet spot is louder for a Super, a Bassman gives up the goods sooner. But they are both loud enough for a two guitar band. I pick the Super b/c it has reverb. Period. I like reverb.

There is an inherent difference. Do you want smooth, warm, liquid tones; or a toothy, driven sound? They are both very coooool, and in a perfect world, you should have both. Tough choice.

The guy I play in a band with plays Bassman/Marshall tones... I play Blackface tones. What is your other player running through?

8. B Vance

B Vance Member

Personally I have never tried an attenuator with either. I have played through both originals and reissues at every level possible.

If you want to play with lots of drive at lower volumes, look into higher gain tubes. You said that you don't mind using pedals, depending on what sound you are looking for, the bassman takes pedals well. I have found that the Super takes pedals well too, but I just thought that the Bassman was a bit better in this particular aspect.

In my opinion, the Bassman is easier to dial in than the Super. If it's the case that you are going to be switching between guitars often, then I would go with the Bassman.

9. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

I don't have a band at the moment. I am working on putting something together. My role would likely be singer/#2 guitar player, so more on the rhythm side of things.

10. 51tele

51tele Guest

How about the 57 twin low watt RI---?

11. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

No Code 5

I'm lucky to have both amplifiers plus an original '65 SR. personally I prefer the super reverb, but as you said the bassman LTD has a more rock and roll tone, both are pretty loud but, I have seen that the bassman is harder on the speakers and sometimes you hear them having a rough time, someking of flapping, were the SR will not. on the ohter hand the bassman is ligther and smaller to carry and looks pretty cool and classic.

As somebody mentioned also the highs are more sweet on the SR than on the bassman that tend to be a little high sometimes...

You may install casters on both but I think on the bassman will not look as good.

Hope this help.:cool:

12. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

By the way if you want something different to look for also, check the Mesa boogie Maverick 4x10, is discontinued and you may found it for less than a 1K and I think is a much more versatil amplifiers with a much better tone. To me I like it so much that I got 2... :dude

13. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

I really liked the 57 twin RI. It is a bit more than I want to spend on an amp right now though.

Definitely a good amp, very nice tones available.

14. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Ive owned and gigged both the Bassman LTD and the SRRI and IMO neither is "best"....it just depends on your personal taste. To me, the SRRI is a tighter feeling amp and has more clean headroom. Tonally, the main difference to my ears is in the mids....the SRRI has scooped mids whereas the BM's mids are more in your face. In either case though, the stock Jensen P10 reissue speakers need to break-in quite a bit for the amps to sound & feel their best.

Yeah, the SRRI has on board reverb & vibrato but I think it's more important to by for tone because you can always add the gingerbread later if need be.

However, having said all that, I find that my 6L6 equipped Komet 60 kinda splits the difference with an interesting blend of blackface/tweedy-like tones without the weakness of either and with the feel being about right between the two. But, then again, the amp is 3 times the price too.

Neither amp is "best" though....good luck with your choice.

15. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

That was my impression yesterday when playing them. I think the super I played had the advantage of being used... it had some break in time on the speakers, and it really showed.

With the 335, I like the Super (a good match), with my tele I think I preferred the bassman. I liked the 1X15 Twin quite a bit too, but not as much as either of these two.

Like I said, I am leaning towards the Super. I am going to see what else I can find locally to test out over the next couple of weekends. The tweed has an attitude that a bf isn't going to have and vice versa.

I don't think either of these amps would be a bad choice.

16. hasserl

hasserl Member

I have and do use an attenuator w/ a SR and IMO it works great. Getting the Vol up to 7 or above really helps to get the goods from the SR. But it's a bit loud there. You can use the attenuator to just take the edge off the volume, sometimes that's all you need. Or you can bring it down quite a bit farther if needed. But you still get the good tones from the amp.

17. ROKY

ROKY Member

As far as the relative headroom on the Bassman vs Super .

If you went with a 12AY7 in V1 and, say, even a 12at7 in V3 on
    the Bassman you would easily compete with the Super Rev. in
    the headroom dept.

With the Bassman you have the midrange that if you wanted to
    you could scoop that out to a reasonable degree to sort of bridge
    the gap betwixt the two..

As far as the reverb goes I think a little slapback delay does nicely
    with a Bassman-- I'm not heavily into reverb, myself, unless I'm
    goofin around with surf tunes(not often)

As far as the Bassman's highs are concerned, that's the easiest fix :
    If your guitar's tone controls are, at all, effective, you can roll off
    any perceived unnatural harshness

Personally, I'd go with the Bassman.

You could even mix in 2 ceramic speakers to add some punch
    while retaining some squash from the AlNiCos .

The new Eminence 10"s are pretty damn good .

18. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

Well,

The Bassman LTD made a big push for the lead this weekend. I was very impressed with the amp at a better volume and with overdrive/reverb on tap.

Really sweet tones all around. It was a bit more pleasing to my ear when pushed than the Super. The circuit is more straight forward and I can feel what I play a bit more. I like that. Still, the Super has its own thing going.

I think the Bassman will be the winner. It is a one hand carry, which you can't beat... and just has more of what I am used to in an amp. An easier transition from the cathode biased simple el-84 amps I am used to playing.

I need to investigate how it perfroms with a Weber MASS or similar unit. That would add a lot of use for me.