bassman or bandmaster cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hucklebee, Feb 22, 2009.

1. hucklebee

hucklebee Supporting Member

I have a '65 BF bassman that I would like to pair up with a period correct speaker cab. I am looking at both bandmaster and bassman cabs. Are their any differences between the two? If so, what are the major differences? Any ideas on current market value?

thx

2. devbro

devbro Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the piggyback studs are spaced differently. The Bandmaster are slightly wider.

3. hucklebee

4. hucklebee

5. cameron

cameron Member

It's hard to say what substantive differences there were. Fender weren't consistent as to what speakers they put into the cabs for individual amp models, let alone consistent with regard to differences across two models. Any given cab could have Jensens, Oxfords, or Utahs. The dimensions of the cabs that came with the Bassman and Bandmaster were the same for '65. In late '67 or maybe in '68 they started using significantly larger cabs for the Bassman. There may be very minor cosmetic differences, as someone mentioned above, but I doubt they're consistent. Quality control and inventory management was pretty lax at the Fender plant in many ways.

6. hucklebee

thanks for the perspective Cameron... it helps

7. valcoholic57

valcoholic57 Member

I bought a 65 bassman cab for my 63 bandmaster...the piggybacks are spaced too close together for the bandmaster head....that said....with the adjustable brackets a bandmaster cab with a bassman head should work with no problems

8. hucklebee

thx

how bout market price... anybody got a feel?

9. valcoholic57

valcoholic57 Member

I payed 279$ for the bassman cab. It is in pretty good condition...a small tear in the grill cloth.... it had some crappy eminence speakers in it, I replaced them with some '72 Jensen Vibranto's and now it smokes....You can get some good deals if you're not looking for ones loaded with original speakers