Bassman or Bandmaster?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NeilYoung Fever, Dec 27, 2009.

1. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

Im probably getting one of these very soon but dont know a whole lot about the bassman in comparison. My assumption is that the bassman is a little less sweeter, more cruchy/meant for rock? What are the good circuits, are there years to aviod? Are both good with pedals? Ill definitly be getting a silverface either way. Thanks

2. fishlog

fishlog Member

Your really looking into these amps aren't you? just posted not to long ago about a Bandmaster Reverb right?

Well the funny thing is I went through all this a little over a year ago I guess (Bandmaster Vs Bassman) Both great amps but my wallet only let me hang onto one. It was the Bassman and I have never really looked back.

To me the Bandmaster was smoother, more mellow sounded great with overdrive (pedals) very nice smokey midnight lead tone.

The Bassman is more aggressive, edgier, great for non lead and leads but is certainly not as smooth as the Bandmaster. The aggressiveness is what I was looking for. Leadwise you can really dig into it, it just seemed to have that extra gear that the Bandmaster did not have. No trem, no reverb, just a very nice dry sound (which is what I like).

I should mention both of mine where/are blackface circuits. I should also note that after I settled on the Bassman I tried out a bunch of different Bassman with different circuits (Blond Circuit ect) but I ended up setteling on the AB165 circuit (which is the most common) I just liked it better than the others but that's a whole different post.

3. Blues Rocker

Blues Rocker Member

I am an owner an performer of the Victoria 45410 Bassman. The Bassman combo is as great an amp as one can find from the mid Tweed era. I use it regulary for practice and performing. It is the essence of pure Fender tone and the circuit the Marshall JTM45 was based on (with a few small differences, though it sounds nothing like a JTM45).

Pros:
    Wonderful tone at ANY volume.
    Very organic and touch sensitive to your playing. (If you're good you'll sound great
    if you suck, you'll suck greater!).
    Outstanding for any popular genre of music except probably metal.
    Interactive channels when patched.
    Extremely usable at most all settings. (This amp is not a "one tone wonder" like so
    many...it sounds so good with an infinite amount of setting combinations, just
    best when set for the guitar/genre/tone you're going for.
    Simple to repair for your tech or for you if you work on your own amp.
    An icon of classic rock, country and jazz.
    Works well with a variety of pedals (I use a Wah>OCD>Box of Rock>DD-7>
    SupaTrem, and it is heavenly.

Cons:
    No reverb (doesn't need it)
    No tremelo (I use a pedal for my occassional needs for
    No channel switching, if that's important to you.
    No effects loop;doesn't need one.
    A little heavy if you have back problems.

4. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

haha yeah Im sort impatient I guess... would you say that the cleans were well "cleaner" on the Bandmaster? Im gonna be playing a lot of mellow stuff on clean but Ill be playing a lot of jam stuff too. Tough choice.

5. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

Wish I could afford a tweed! Ill be trying to get an early SF with BF circuits.

6. fishlog

fishlog Member

Cleans are great on both heads... break up (if your looking for that) may matter more on which speakers you choose. I certainly never even came close to a volume on either that even verged on break up with the Weber's I use (12F150's and 10F150's, Silver Bell's and Silver 10's, Blue Dog and Blue Pups ect in different cab set up ect...)

7. lochry

lochry Member

Over the years I've used the blonde and BF versions of each amp, so here's my 2 cents.

My favorite clean amp is a Blonde Bandmaster (6G7-A Circuit) into a little 1x12 cabinet. Very sweet and warm with lots of detail -- even a higher volumes.

I have a 6G6-B Bassman and it a much better rock amp than the Bandmaster -- no contest. Of course, the 6G6-B could be THE rock amp of my (probably older) generation. It has great cleans on the Normal Channel (I find the Bass Channel varies from amp to amp), but not nearly as lush as the Bandmaster.

I know some folks don't like the "vibrato" channel on the Bandmaster, but I love it. The "harmonic tremolo" circuit is unique. At a low/slow setting, it is a little like adding a little chorus or a Phase 45, although the way it reacts with the rest of the circuit is much more organic than a pedal. I like to set it where you don't really notice it . . . until it's off.

The 6G7s don't come up often, but they don't command the same bucks as a Bassman either. I think it might be what you are looking for.

8. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

Good info, any opinions cosidering SF amps? I dont plan to be cranking it to get gain, well I do but rarely, Ill me using fuzz/ tube screamers.

9. dughaze

dughaze Member

Useful info. Thanks.

10. JDJ

JDJ Member

I've had both. The Bassman had more perceived headroom, and better bass response. The Bandmaster sounds a bit thin by comparison. I suppose that is why it is a popular mod to put a Bassman output transformer into a Bandmaster.

11. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

12. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I've got a 65" Bandmaster. I would say it's cleaner sounding than the Bassman which is a little beefier sounding with more breakup. I like to think of the Bandmaster as a lower powered BF Twin. It's probably my favorite clean amp for use as a pedal platform. I also prefer the normal channel which sounds bigger than the vibrato channel. Perfect Fender amp for me as I don't really want Fenderish OD which gets a little farty for my taste.

13. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Bassman does it for my ears. Especially the Blondes and BF styles, although the Tweed aint bad either! LOL!

14. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

For clean tones, up to a certain vol point (for more clean headroom/vol use a Showman head), the BS/SF Bandmaster AB763 heads are great.
    If interested in crunchier natural OD/Dist tones then the Blonde 6G7-A Bandmaster or Blonde 6G6-B Bassman or BF Bassman are the way to go.
    The cleans on most Blonde/Brownface Bandmaster or Bassman heads usually contain more mids and an element of "chunkey-ness" that people either like more or less than the mid-scooped, thinner Blackface/SF AB763 Bandmaster tone.
    None of these amps are "better" or "worse", IMO----- it just depends on what specific tone suits your requirements better---- and, of course, speakers make a difference.
    I love all of them----- even the Tweed-based Victoria which is pricey and not really the type of amp the OP was considering--- but one of the classic tube amp tones, for sure............................gldtp99

15. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

It depends... if you put a 12AX7 across all preamp tube in a bassmand (bf or sf) they seem a bit more snarly than a bandmaster. I've never played a bf bandmanster... but mine was definitely a tad thinner and cleaner than either bassman.

16. kimock

kimock Member

I DRAGGED THIS OVER FROM ANOTHER DISCUSSION, WITH MY REPLY.

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:28 pm Post subject: Re: Bassman vs bandmaster?
    Bennett wrote:
    Hello All,

I'm kind of in this same pickle as well... I'm in it for the upgrade in cleans not an upgrade in power though.

I've been bouncing back and forth between a Bassman and a Bandmaster.

I don't mean to 'hijack' this thread, but if the price difference was negligible why go with one over the other?

peace- Ben[/i]

That's easy! The Bandmaster is softer, smoother, prettier, earlier break up, less power, smaller output transformer etc.
    The Bassman is louder, punchier, nastier, more clean headroom, more power, bigger OT.

You still need some help with both amps to get modern amounts of overdrive, but almost any pedal will work either amp.
    The big difference is really in the potential application to your own gig.
    The Bandmaster with a single 8 ohm speaker, turned up with a humbucking guitar, is going to be beautifully smooth and hot in a normal band mix.
    It'll be just barely loud enough for a big noisy bar and a full band.
    The Bassman with a stout pair of 12's at 4 ohms will be killing loud in that same setting, a great platform for pedals (as they say), but you'll need 'em.

See where I'm going with this? If you milk the difference between the two by mismatching a single alnico 12 to the Bandmaster, or letting the Bassman run full power with a pair of ceramics, they're radically different amps on the bandstand.

I've got both, and use them pretty much like the above examples, the Bandmaster is pushed, the Bassman coasts.

peace

17. Blues Rocker

Blues Rocker Member

After writing the attributes of the tweed Bassman I learned that that is not what you were considering...my bad!

18. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

Man this is a tough choice! Thanks everyone for the opinions. The idea of sweeter cleans from the bandmaster appeals to me very much as well as a pedal platform, plus it would be a little cheaper..But the bassman being more aggressive and rockin, plus more recommendations appeals as well.. Ill throw some sounds Im going for out there : John Mayer, The Black Keys, Cold War Kids, My Morning Jacket. I do a lot of mellow solo play and jamstyle stuff with others. Neil Young covers too, of course ;)

19. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

20. Niblos

Niblos Member

Hey - you can't go wrong with vintage Fender!