Bassman vs. Bassman LTD....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bigroy, Feb 17, 2008.

1. bigroy

bigroy Member

What's the difference?

2. stratlad

stratlad Member

I think the Ltd has a "better" cabinet - better quality wood. I dunno how much better but I've heard a tonal difference. I think otherwise they are the same but check Fender's website

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the ltd has its tweed laquered, and i think it uses nicer tubes and has an adjustable bias. it certainly looks cooler and doesn't stain as easily.

4. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

The only differences on the LTD are: solid pine cabinet, lacquered tweed, Jensen speakers (Emi's in the older ones), has a bias pot, and tube rectifier stock. Otherwise the circuit is the same and from my experience the tonal difference is relatively negligible. The only thing that can't be done to the pre-LTD's to make them identical is the cabinet (well, unless you have one built), but you can easily lacquer the tweed (Minwax Polyshades works well), add a bias pot, and put in a tube recitifier in place of the stock SS one. And speaker wise many prefer the older blue frame Eminence speakers in the pre-LTD's anyway, but many speaker vendors sell replacements if you want to change them out.

5. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

EunosFD nailed the differences.

If you are looking for the best 'gigger' out of the box, the LTD is it. The Bias Pot makes it very easy to change tubes.

Addint a bias pot is a pretty simple mod, however and most early RI's already have had them added.

I am an owner of an Early RI and I MUCH prefer the blue frame speakers (eminence). The are smoother and a bit darker than the Jensens.

Either version is well worth their 'going price' these days.

6. sideman

sideman Member

That's right. I had an old one for several years. I laquered it (a fun Sunday project) and put in a tube rectifier. My tech set bias when it needed tubes. But that was once in what, two years? A couple friends have the newer ones. I haven't followed the pricing, but it would be interesting to know what the used prices are for the two models. If it's much more than $75 it wouldn't be worth it to me. Oh, speakers -- I liked both the blue framed Eminence old ones -- which are darker -- as well as the Jensens in the new ones. The Jensens are a little more complex sounding; would probably take them if all else was equal.

7. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I have an Ltd with the Jensens...would like the Blue Frames. Does anybody make something similar??? I've been trying to track down some, but no luck.