Bassman vs. Princeton (Tyler Amps PT14)

addisonnyle

Silver Supporting Member
I've used a Bassman for a number of years now. I've always loved it, it feels like "home"... But there are a few things that have always bothered me about Bassmans, mainly the loose/flubby low end.

I'm curious if the Princeton circuit is any different, particularly the Tyler PT14. Perhaps it's time I venture into another type of tube, but before I do (I'm a big fan of the warmer Fender tone) I figured I'd do a bit of asking.

What are the biggest differences I'd see between the two?

Thanks so much!

dewey decibel

I've used a Bassman for a number of years now. I've always loved it, it feels like "home"... But there are a few things that have always bothered me about Bassmans, mainly the loose/flubby low end.

I'm curious if the Princeton circuit is any different, particularly the Tyler PT14. Perhaps it's time I venture into another type of tube, but before I do (I'm a big fan of the warmer Fender tone) I figured I'd do a bit of asking.

What are the biggest differences I'd see between the two?

Thanks so much!

Well, I guess it depends which Bassman but of all the Fenders I can think of the Bassman tends to have the tightest low end, from tweed to blonde to blackface.

Then again it depends on the Princeton, but you're talking about two very different wattages/outputs, that would be my first concern. That Tyler looks like a bf Princeton Reverb, which IMO breaks up smoother than the other bf Fender combos, but it's not going to have tight bass when doing so.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
I recently demo'd a PT14. It sounded amazing, but if you turn it up too much, it will flub out. Just the nature of the circuit. But, if you keep it in the sweet spot, it the best BF Princeton tone I have ever heard....

A Bassman can be modded to be a little tighter. All you have to do is increase the filter cap size a little. No need to do drastic increases, going from 35uf to 50uf in the first stage is usually enough. My favorite is 50uf, 30uf, 30uf, 30uf. Stock is 35uf, 20uf, 20uf, 20uf.

soulloud

I was using 2 princetons for years then switched to a bassman for the last 7 years or so and I like it much better. Mostly because the bass never flubs out at any volume. But I'm using big bottle power tubes for more headroom and it just has a great feel and tone.

addisonnyle

Silver Supporting Member
This is all great stuff, perhaps I'm looking into the wrong circuit altogether! I'm beginning to wonder if EL34's are what I should be after.

addisonnyle

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a drip edge '67. BF internals, SF front. I really do like it! And probably won't sell it as I've had it so long! Perhaps the changes are all I need to make like fusionbear described!

Trending Topics