Basswood Suhrs

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by RGN, Oct 17, 2005.

1. RGN

RGN Member

I am looking at a used basswood Suhr Classic w/ two humbuckers and a standard trem. Anyone own one of these suckers? I'd like to get some mini reviews. This would be my first Suhr and my first guitar without a Floyd. Is the H-S-S config a lot more versatile? I don't see a ton of H H Suhrs but I always have difficulty playing a guitar with a middle PU unless I sink them flush with the pick guard. My guitars now are primarily the Lynch set-up with one humbucker and one single coil in the neck. Just need some outside opinions. Much thanks.....

2. FredW

FredW Member

I have a standard with a basswood w/ a maple top and neck and it is probably my favorite Suhr out of the three I have (the others are a classic and a classic t). I am not sure what effect the maple top has-probably makes it a bit brighter-but I would not be scared of it.

3. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I own a Standard with Basswood and Maple top and it is just awesome. Great combination for a guitar. Here it is:

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Chuck

4. Chi

Chi Member

I cannot stand basswood as a tonewood, but I admittedly have not tried one with a maple top, or one that was made by John Suhr. I have an 6.5lb ash Suhr with a ample neck that is my favorite modern strat.

I hear Suhr's favorite wood combo is basswood with a maple cap.

The only basswood guitars i've heard are Ibanez RG;s and Japanese strats. They were lightweight but they all those basswood RGs and Japanese strats sounded like ass...

Interested in hearing what a Suhr basswood with maple cap would sound like...

5. Boomer

Boomer Member

My Standard is basswood with a maple cap and the '56 Big V neck. While it's not a dual humbucker, it's a stellar instrument.

[​IMG]

6. goodwill559

goodwill559 Guest

What would you estimate the weight difference to be between a basswood/maple cap bodied guitar v. just basswood bodied?

I'm not a big guy and i love the weight of my current basswood bodied guitar. I switched from an alder body to a basswood body about eight months ago and it feels so much better to play with the basswood strapped on...

7. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

As i´ve always said, basswood is a very special wood. It IS a great tonewood, the problem with it was the over-use of it in the 80´s. Real quaility pieces were rare, and the usual was the bad quality, that´s why people see it as a "bad tonewood". But a real quality basswood body is a great sounding one.
    About the Ibanezes/ non-maple top basswwod bodies, you have to pay major $$$. I´ve had like 10 Ibanezes, most made of basswood. Cheap ones sound like ass, expensive ones sound ok, and custom shop ones sound like f***ing heaven, specially if you change those horrible Dimarzio pups they use to mount.
    I own a Jem 10th anniversary, custom shop, 800 made, mine is 242. The body is selected basswood, i think they´re made of old pieces.
    I swapped the horrible dimarzios and installed some duncans. That guitar sounds fabulous, can dare my tylers without a problem, has literally killed some Tom Andersons, and still anyone that tries it says it has "some magic".
    As i love Suhr guitars, i´m completely sure their basswood body sounds awesome.
    Cheers ;)

8. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Does the "good" basswood dent too if you look at it too hard?

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

IIRC, that was one of Tom Anderson's favorite combinations as well....

10. RGN

RGN Member

11. Chi

Chi Member

yeah i forgot also that basswood was extremely soft relative to other tonewoods...

12. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Depends on how the body is finished...;)

13. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Here's my maple/basswood Suhr
    [​IMG]

For Rock, Map/Bass is an awesome combination. Very punchy, somewhat aggressive. Fast attack. Cuts through nicely.
    Im finding that I prefer Alder on my guitars though (personal preference) :)

Richard

14. Chi

Chi Member

Now that is interesting...:eek:

15. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I have a basswood guitar. It sounds really fat. I could see the Maple top adding a little zing to the top end. I'm now a fan of basswood

16. Paul Secondino

Paul Secondino Member

I have a few basswood Ibanezes. And it seems that basswood is generally associated with guitars like hte Ibanez RG and S series as well as other similar Rock/Metal oriented guitars.

The Basswood Suhrs I played all had maple tops and had a sound tht I was familiar with. But a Suhr or Anderson basswood guitar really isn't to be compared with the average Japanese super strat. Having a quality maple top over the basswood extends the high frequency response and most japanese super strats aren't offering maple tops of significant thickness.Actually, I don't know of any basswood Ibanez models that have a maple cap at all.

That said, I think basswood offers a unique neck pickup sound. When you solo on the neck pup and wail on the string, I believe that you get a neat little honk out of the basswood . It's a subtle thing but I havent heard it in any other type of wood. I normally prefer brighter woods like alder and ash but I'll always hear that honk that seems to be present when I use a neck pickup on a basswood guitar.

17. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

There are some Ibanezes with maple top /basswood.
    Now come to my mind some the JPM90HAM (John Petrucci anniversary model) and some of the first j-customs, but i´m sure i´m forgetting some of them.
    You also have the music man Van Halen/Axis and the Peavey Wolfgang with the basswood/maple body also.
    I like basswood both with or without the top. Has a very sweet sound.

18. pluto

pluto Member

I own 3 maple top/basswood body Suhrs all with maple necks. In fact, those are the only guitars that I currently own. Very neutral sounding (broad eq) with a pronounced but sweet top end is how I would describe them. I've owned Andersons with the same wood combinations and they were similar sounding (except the Suhr pickups have a little snarl and bite to it that Anderson pickups don't have). I wish my Suhrs were fatter sounding, but I guess that's what les pauls are for.