Batteries and external power?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by justonwo, Mar 18, 2008.

1. justonwo

justonwo Member

I'm sure I can't be the only one here, but my pedal collection has far outgrown my pedalboard. And that means that I'm frequently rotating things in and out of the board for different flavors.

When they go on the board, they get external power. When they come off, they get a battery so I can still use them. Question is: can I just leave the battery in when I install the pedal on the board? It's a pain to remove.

In other words, how many pedals disconnect the battery from the circuit when the external power jack is being used?

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

yes, you can leave it in when plugged into external device.

will it last long or does it disconnect the battery to save battery life. NO it wont.

just from my experiences alone.

3. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

4. justonwo

justonwo Member

Oooh, great idea! I can make my own.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

All pedals I have ever had that have a power in jack and battery, disconnect the battery when a plug is installed in the power in jack.
    The stock jacks do this, as long as they are wired up correctly, and all pedalmakers I know of do this.

In fact, that is also a good trick, for fuzzes or pedals where you do USE battery only, but that don't turn off (meaning you have to unplug the input to stop battery drain when not in use, which can be a paing if the pedal is in the middle of two others, with short patch cables) when you are not using you can just insert a dummy plug in the jack, and it will disconnect the battery, keeping it fresh!