Batteries in Pedal question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gasp100, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

Once my pedal train gets beyond 5, I'm considering buying a rig that I can use for the 9v inputs for each pedal. What do you guys use so batteries are a thing of the past?
    Also, if I leave my pedals plugged in (but amp off, guitar unplugged) am I wasting battery?

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

I use a One-Spot, and have a brand new backup One-Spot in my gig bag in case it ever quits on me.

It's nice to be free of the hassle (and cost) of replacing 9V batteries.

3. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i'll tell you the truth.

I prefer the way batteries sound or sag or whatever you want to call it, but, i can't keep on bending my back each day to pull cables so the batteries don't run out of juice.

So i think the batteries will only be used live

4. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I use batteries, and batteries only. Dealing with wall warts are a pain, and plus it puts out too much background noise. so I go with good batteries, and make sure I save juice when I'm not using them.

For almost all pedals, the battery juice will drain so long as the INPUT has a cable in. There are a few exceptions, I believe the Boss TU-2 is one.

For the best quality sound, I would use a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power box to power my cables if you wanna avoid 9volts. You can also check out Pedal Snake, which has some good quality stuff that makes wire cluster a thing of the past.

5. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i use a dunlop dc brick that i've been happy with. certain pedals i have sound better with batteries (treble boosters or other germanium transistor pedals). and yes, even if the effect is off, the battery will drain if the input has a cable in it. i learned the hard way in the middle of a gig...

6. Shawn3786

Shawn3786 Member

I use a one spot that powers 5 of my pedals. I also have a second one spot pedal if I need to power up to 10. You'll drain the batter if the 1/4 inch is plugged into the input of the pedal. With batteries, to prolong the life you'll be having to unplug them everytime your not playing... just a hassle. I recommend the cheap and easy to use one spot that works well with many pedals. Never had a problem with mine.

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

Yeah, plus I'm learning some of these pedals (just got a crunchbox) don't have a quick and easy way to replace the battery either. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in pedal board design mode.