Batteries in pedals: Threat or Menace?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cbm, Mar 9, 2015.

1. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I hate using batteries in pedals. I wonder how many pedals are used on batteries. I would rather see pedals use that room for something else, or get smaller.

Are batteries still important for pedals?

2. darkinners

darkinners Member

Eric Johnson think so.

3. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

I like the redundancy aspect. But I forget to disconnect the cables often enough. Does a true bypass draw current when off?

4. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Of the 9 pedals on my board, only two take batteries and neither has one installed.

5. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Battery powered is still important to me. I want to be able to grab a pedal or two and go and set up with a minimum of extra cables or fuss. Lots of places still don't have outlets on or near the stage. Plus, it's a small effects pedal box for an electric guitar. I think it should be able to be run on battery power.

6. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

The worst part is when you get a new pedal, slap some Velcro on it, feung shui everything on your board to make it fit and re-wire everything. And then you realize that there was most likely a battery in the pedal. And you have to take it all apart to get it out!

Done that 3 times thus far...

7. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

I hate pedals that don't run on batteries! In fact, most of my pedals, since they're DIY and vintage, don't have jacks for power.

I also don't like pedal boards. I just like to grab the ones I want to use and chain them up. My delay is a Yamaha e1005 that sits on top of the amp, so that one gets plugged in and can't run on batteries.

8. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

I am with you. Recently retired my board. I now just grab a pedal or two at a time. I find that I play better and it helps me focus on playing rather than screwing around with a bunch of pedals or trouble shooting my board.

Love batteries.

9. Birds in Hell

Birds in Hell Member

Woah, my thoughts exactly.

Not being able to take a battery is almost certainly a dealbreaker for me.

I also can't stand tiny pedals! I find the whole 'smaller is better' craze baffling.

10. NielsM

NielsM Member

No, because true bypass just means that it's going around the circuit.

11. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

There are only a few circuits that I think function bettery with battery power. Fuzz and Wah.
    For routine gigging, a power supply is the normal strategy. No point in spending up to $3 per pedal per gig to have a reliable battery power source- especially if there is delay or reverb involved.

12. acwild

acwild Member

I bought a bunch of rechargeable 9v batteries. There's been times in which we were outlet limited and having battery options saved the day.

13. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Almost all of my effects work without batteries, even when they have the option. I choose what's more environmentally friendly, more economical and easier (instead of constantly replacing batteries).

The only exception is fuzzes that are sensitive to noisy external power, that sound best when a normal battery is slightly starving them, or that I'm avoiding powering them externally to reduce the danger of frying something to zero (for example when forgetting to use reverse polarity than standard - almost happened to me twice), especially with old vintage fuzzes that have specific components that may be hard to find - or that even if found, the sound and response might be different...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  14. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

This is the only battery related item that I put into my pedals

[​IMG]

15. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

I don't mind if it's a pedal that clearly wouldn't be able to run on a battery anyway (like a Strymon, Flashbackx4, DD-20 etc). But for some reason it still bugs me a little if it's a pedal that could run on battery (iow that I could potentially use on its own, for a grab/go gig). But then I realize that I never really do that anyway - I tend to always have pedals hooked up to a power supply, after all - so that feeling is a bit irrational. And in the end, what the pedal does to the sound is more important. Unless it's a pedal I specifically buy because it can be battery powered (so I can bring it to that outdoors busking gig I never do :)), having the battery option isn't a big factor in my decision to buy or not buy.

True bypass or not has nothing to do with the powering - the circuit itself will be powered up and drawing current regardless of how the bypass switch is set.

By "redundancy", do you mean having a battery still in the pedal, even though you normally power it from a power supply? I'd advise against that - over time, batteries can leak, and that stuff is really nasty to clean up. Besides, you'd only be able to take advantage of that battery if it's reasonably fresh (it hasn't been left in the pedal for ages) and if it's only your power supply that has failed. If the mains power goes out, having that battery there won't help anyway :)

16. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

I prefer to power my wah pedal, and dirt pedals (especially fuzz) with 9 volt batteries. Everything else is powered by my PP2+

17. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Does that fit onto and protect the terminals?

18. alberob

alberob Member

I find less hum and noise when I use batteries in my Fuzz pedals and Overdrives.Everything else is with a Power supply.

19. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

I used to run my Sunface on batteries. One gig, it wouldn't turn on. I didn't really have time to open up the pedal and take the battery out, then screw the back plate on again. If a pedal takes a battery, the compartment needs to be more accessible.

20. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I'm not a huge fan of batteries - they're always dying, I'm always buying more and they're bad for the environment. But you gotta have em if you have a huge collection of vintage pedals. In modern pedals, I pretty much only use them in Fuzz Face and Tone Bender circuits because they really do sound & feel better.