Batteries + Power Supply?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by granite, Jul 26, 2006.

1. granite

granite Member

Should you remove the batteries from your pedals if you switch to a power supply? I was thinking yes because if your pedal board cables are continually plugged in to the inputs of your pedals, it's going to drain them eventually.

I was just curious if any damage could result from not removing them. It kind of keeps the battery clip from flaying around inside the pedal. Opinions?

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

As caution, I always remove them.
    I put electrical tape over the battery clip as well...
    I actually had a pedal short when the clip touched the housing, didn't do damage, just wouldn't turn on.

3. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Gold Supporting Member

The power socket on the pedal should be a switching type that disconnects the battery when you plug in a power cable. All the same, I recommend removing the battery.

If the socket is not a switching type, or the switch has failed, the battery could leak corrosive stuff into your pedal, or even possibly explode.

Peter.
    ClinchFX

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I wondered about this also...I do know that MOST (but all??) pedalmakers have it that if there is a power barrel connector (from a power supply) plugged into the pedal, merely plugging it in opens the connection to the battery clip. By "opens" I mean it lifts the positive side so that no juice is going to the battery clip.

Because of this, if you want to leave a pedal powered only by battery on, with a cable inserted into the input (which usually with pedals turns them on) without draining the battery, you can insert a dummy barrel connector in the powered input when not using it. It works, because the input cable is plugged in the unit is "on" but since the dummy barrel connector is plugged in also, it expects power from the power supply input and switches off the battery. Neat trick.

But I have wondered if some pedals might not be made correctly and get worried that the empty battery clip will short out the power supply in.
    Therefore I usually do put a battery in there, even though I use a power supply. (also, it is kinda nice to be able to use it without the power supply) Good idea though to make an annual "change the battery" day, where you just buy a lot of 9 v batteries and change them all out.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I think it's more the issue of the corosive battery left in the pedal. If you're using the power supply, you'll end up forgetting that the battery is there and eventually the battery leakage will ruin the pedal. I take the batteries out.

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Mine are always loaded. I consider it a backup system.

jon

7. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

If I don't expect to gig for a while, I take them out. Like bluesdoc, I like to have a belt-and-braces approach if I'm playing out.

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I took all of mine out of everything since I use them with the pedalboard, except for the StroboStomp because I use it just for acoustic guitar tuning as well.

9. Thazy

Thazy Member

I'm like Bluesdoc, I leave the batt's in just in case. I do check them from time to time and replace them if they go dead. Always good to have them ready to go in case something on my board goes out and I need to do some switching in a hurry.