Battery powered / DC-input power supply with isolated outputs?

Vandrovec

I busk with my board and am quite fed up with ground loop hum and noise from daisy chaining off of a Li-Ion battery pack.

Problem is, most power supplies achieve output ground isolation with transformers, meaning an AC input, which is unpracticable for busking. Using an inverter is complete overkill, since even my amp runs off batteries rather well. There's a Diago adapter that isolates ground, but the sharp current limit makes it rather useless, and buying more of them gets ridiculously expensive, approaching the cost of a power supply.

The best solution seems to be getting a power supply that has a DC input so I can feed it off a regulated Li-Ion battery pack, or something with a built in battery. However, most of these are glorified daisy chains without isolation.

So far, I have discovered two (2) pedalboard power supplies that fit the bill, the JHT ISO3 and the MXR ISO-Brick. The former is not readily available in the EU, and the MXR is more than I need, both in terms of size and price.

Any ideas for alternatives?

stinkfoot

I'm not familiar with the JHT one, but to my knowledge the MXR Iso-Brick is the only readily available power supply that has proper isolated outputs while also being run from a DC power source. But you could look into the GigRig Isolator - it is a small block that runs off 9vDC, and provides 4 isolated 9vDC output. Again, it might run out of puff due to current draw limitations, but that of course depends on what you will be powering from it.

Vandrovec

Hm, the Isolator, missed that one. I like the idea very much, but the current draw per output is limited to 150 mA, which will not even power a DigiTech JamMan. Parallel connection might work, but then there's only the Jamman and two other pedals. It still might work, but there's one more snag: I read it draws 500 mA all on its own. Is that a fact?

Can't see to find the info on GigRigs website. That's a deal breaker if there ever was one in a battery powered situation. :D

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

DaveKS

Godlyke Ground Hound can output up to 650ma.

Isolator is 180ma on each of its 4 outputs.

Vitoos dc8 would give you 3 isolation points, it uses a external 2000ma 12v power supply so it might work with a battery.

Vandrovec

Thank you! The Vitoos DC8 does ship to the EU and is much better priced for what I need. I emailed them about the ISO4, so let's wait and see.

Vandrovec

Just reporting back. The never got back to me on the Power Mate Iso4, so I ordered a Vitoos DC-8. It cost $39 shipped + tax, is pretty compact, and it works like a charm. All the hums I had are gone with this thing powering my pedals, and no need to worry about overloading that daisy chain anymore. Thanks for the suggestion, I wouldn't have found it otherwise!

DaveKS

Just reporting back. The never got back to me on the Power Mate Iso4, so I ordered a Vitoos DC-8. It cost $39 shipped + tax, is pretty compact, and it works like a charm. All the hums I had are gone with this thing powering my pedals, and no need to worry about overloading that daisy chain anymore. Thanks for the suggestion, I wouldn't have found it otherwise!
Yep I've been very impress with mine. It's amazing how good a quality it seems at that price point.

Vandrovec

Oh hell yes. The brushed metal finish makes it look like way more expensive. Beautiful build, shame it's under the board. :)

amz-fx

Silver Supporting Member
The best solution seems to be getting a power supply that has a DC input so I can feed it off a regulated Li-Ion battery pack, or something with a built in battery. However, most of these are glorified daisy chains without isolation.
There is a difference between Y outputs and a daisy chain. The Y connections from a common source are always better than a long chain, and most of the time will do the job even if not isolated. I wrote about daisy chains yesterday in this thread:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/daisy-chaining-and-noise.1729374/#post-22377147

Best regards, Jack

DaveKS

There is a difference between Y outputs and a daisy chain. The Y connections from a common source are always better than a long chain, and most of the time will do the job even if not isolated. I wrote about daisy chains yesterday in this thread:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/daisy-chaining-and-noise.1729374/#post-22377147

Best regards, Jack
And thanks for posting that, I had never thought about how you staged pedals across the sequence of a daisy chain as having any real relationship as to how much current would be present at each link, but after your comment its was, duh, makes perfect sense.

Trending Topics