• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Battle of the cheap all-in floor unit for DI gigs

Badside

EDIT: Bought a used POD HD500, very satisfied so far (skip to page 3 if curious)

Have a gig next month where I don't want any amp on stage, it's just too small.
I've used modelers for gigging, but never direct... it's kind of... scary

My budget is 200-300$ max, yes I can't expect much from that but I don't care.

My must haves:
- Quick access to 2 (ideally 3) basic tones
- Ability to turn on and off some individual effects (mostly delay and chorus) without doing a complicated tap dance
- Must be as compact as possible
- Expression pedal optional, but a nice-to-have
- Amp modeling more important than effects
- Unbalanced 1/4" out is good enough.
- Will be used only occasionally, doesn't have to be extra sturdy, as long as it doesn't self-destruct.
- Looking mostly for Fender type clean and JCM800 type crunch
- Don't want to spend hours building patches. Needs to be having easy access to all important parameters.

RP360XP is out because it won't be released in time...
G3X is interesting, though it's a bit complicated to switch presets which mean I'd have to stick with one amp model and dirt box sims (which is what I do with real amps, so might work well). Underwhelmed by G5, it only gives you quicker access to 2 FX slots (and it's easy enough to scroll around on the G3
Boss ME-80 has caught my attention, a bit bigger, but lots of switches and I like that there is a bunch of physical knobs I can tweak like with my real pedals. Not in store yet so can't really get a feel for it.
Pod HD300 Not bad... but I'll always regret not getting the HD500X, and I can't afford that at the moment hehe. Also, I never see the 300 in local stores, I think it's not even listed on L6's website anymore.
Flood Pod PlusThat thing is extremely cheap. Probably based on Pod 2.0. I wouldn't expect much from it, but a local store has it listed as in stock.
Fender Mustang Floor is HUGE, and I already have a Mustang 1 that I don't like when playing with the band (too fizzy).

Right now I mostly have the G3X and ME-80 in mind... The G3X because it doubles as a super cool multi-FX to put in my amp's loop. And the ME-80 because of all the knobs right on top, looks super intuitive to use. However the G3X is more versatile as a FX only unit for my other gigs...

What else?

Last edited:

jbealsmusic

Digitech RP1000 can be bought for around $300 and it does everything you listed. It's particularly good at the JCM800 crunch sound for such a cheap unit. It might be a little too big for you though...

I'd say the new Tech 21 Fly Rig 5, but it won't be out in time...

DGChaos

Zoom MS 50 G is quite nice. Really compact and sounds good too.
You will have trouble switching between presets though.

I don't know if the Mustang Floor sounds like the amp, but it's considered to have good modeling for what it's worth. Easy to use as well; not much tweaking. If I was in your place, I would pick the Mustang Floor.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
I use the G3X.
Basically I've simplified it to this..
I use one patch, (though I could use many more) which is a Marshall sim set for nice crunch when git volume knob is on 10.
For clean rhythm I back off on the volume knob and if need be increase the master volume with the G3X built in volume pedal.
For solos I just turn the volume knob back to 10 and decrease master volume if needed with the volume pedal.
Dirt pedal in chain for extra boost/gain if needed.
My chain is compressor>dirt pedal>chorus>amp>delay>reverb.
I can honestly say this setup works for almost any song.
It might sound a bit old school but simplicity has its advantages.
We play funk, blues, some rock and pop.

partytrain

I have a G5 that I've used direct on a bunch of gigs, and it has always sounded great. So my vote goes to the G3x (since you don't want G5).

Badside

I use the G3X.
Basically I've simplified it to this..
I use one patch, (though I could use many more) which is a Marshall sim set for nice crunch when git volume knob is on 10.
For clean rhythm I back off on the volume knob and if need be increase the master volume with the G3X built in volume pedal.
For solos I just turn the volume knob back to 10 and decrease master volume if needed with the volume pedal.
Dirt pedal in chain for extra boost/gain if needed.
My chain is compressor>dirt pedal>chorus>amp>delay>reverb.
I can honestly say this setup works for almost any song.
It might sound a bit old school but simplicity has its advantages.
We play funk, blues, some rock and pop.
That's pretty much how I use my real tube amp (which basically a modded JCM800), so I'm very familiar with this methodology.
I've just never played a modeler that reacted properly to the volume knob (except Tech21 stuff). But I haven't tried it on the G3...

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
That's pretty much how I use my real tube amp (which basically a modded JCM800), so I'm very familiar with this methodology.
I've just never played a modeler that reacted properly to the volume knob (except Tech21 stuff). But I haven't tried it on the G3...
Yep...volume knob cleans up nice and pick dynamics are there also...i.e. volume knob on 10 and light touch with fingers cleans up.
Also I use an Alto 12 FRFR type stage monitor so when I run direct the sound I get on stage is the same via the mains, no eq needed.

aizenx

(HD500's) If you're patient, I see them all the time for $300. I just got mine for $275.

Badside

(HD500's) If you're patient, I see them all the time for $300. I just got mine for $275.
People selling used gear are notoriously oblivious in my area...

They argue that you're saving the sales taxes (almost 15% around here), but I'm also losing the warranty and just lost a bunch of money if it dies the next week.

The iPad doesn't react well when you step on it though...
I mount it in front of me on my mic stand, and change patches/parameters with my IK Multimedia BlueBoard, bluetooth pedal.

I show up to a gig with a small laptop case. Inside is the ipad, blue board, Roland expression pedal (for wah) and cables/adapters. Done

jbealsmusic

I mount it in front of me on my mic stand, and change patches/parameters with my IK Multimedia BlueBoard, bluetooth pedal.

I show up to a gig with a small laptop case. Inside is the ipad, blue board, Roland expression pedal (for wah) and cables/adapters. Done
Ahh, ok. You didn't mention that in your original post. Sounds a little on the expensive side though.

rsm

I had a G3, now I have a G5. Since you don't want a G5, and are considering a G3X, I'd say get the G3X. I have not done the ashbass mods, but worth a look.

IMO.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom