Battle of the Power Brick Elite- Strymon Zuma vs. Truetone 1 Spot Pro CS12

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stratman76, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

I've done some research and I believe these two are the best available for anyone who is using a high current pedal (450mA or higher) on their board.

I think I would be good with either the Zuma or the CS12. An advantage in noise reduction/noise rejection would sway me. Isolation and noise-wise, Truetone is secretive about their technology and Strymon provides information that most will not really understand (or care to). My take is that these devices are fairly equal on this level.

Truetone 1 Spot Pro CS12 – with Isolated Outputs - $179.99 (list)
    http://truetone.com/power-supplies/1-spot-pro/1-spot-pro-c12zzz/
    2 - 18v 100mA
    4 - 9v or 12v 100mA (switchable 9 or 12 volts)
    1 - 4v through 9v 100mA (variable range voltage)
    2 - 9v 250mA
    2 - 9v 500mA
    1 - 9v 800mA (AC only)

Strymon Zuma - $249.00 (list)
    http://www.strymon.net/products/zuma/
    7 - 9v 500mA
    2 - 9v 500mA – switchable to 12v 375mA or 18v 250mA
    1 - 24v out to integrate additional Strymon power supplies

What do you think? To me, any brick that lacks at least one 450mA out is not qualifying for modern day elite.

Units listed below have been added to the elite list (as a result of posts to this thread).

Cioks Ciokolate
    - $369 (list)
    http://cioks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=73
    13 DC and 3 AC (16 total total/ports) in 12 isolated sections

3 - 9v 100mA
    1 - 18v 100mA (switchable to 24 volts)
    1 - 4v through 9v 100mA (variable range voltage)
    2 - 9v 200mA (switchable to 12 volts)
    2 - 9v 400mA (switchable to 12 volts)
    1 - 9v 400mA (can be used in a combo)
    1 - 12v 400mA (switchable to 15 volts)
    1 - 9v 600mA (can be used in a combo)
    1 - 12v 600mA (switchable to 15 volts)
    1 - AC 9v 800mA (switchable to 12 volts)
    1 - AC 9v 800mA (can be used in a combo)
    1 - AC 12v 800mA (switchable to 16 volts)
    some ports can be combined to create a single 40v port

Gurus Power5000 - $399 in the USA
    http://www.gurusamps.com/en/products/power5000
    Like a Strymon but beyond. Has an on/off switch.
    4 - 9v 500mA each
    4 - 9v 500mA each or 12v 400mA each (switchable voltage)
    1 - 9v 1000mA with adjustable voltage under 9v
    1 - 18v 200mA with adjustable voltage under 9v
    2 - AC 12v with 1000mA max per port

Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 4x4 - $189 (list)
    http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_4x4.htm
    2 - 9v or 12v 400mA (switchable)
    2 - 9v 400mA
    4 - 9v 100mA (can be used in a combo)

Yankee PS-M12 - $245 (list)
    http://yankee.com.pl/ps-m12-power-supply/?lang=en
    5 - 9v 900mA max per port
    1 - 6v, 12v, 18v, 24v - switchable voltage - 600mA max
    1 - 6v, 12v, 15v, 18v - switchable voltage - 600mA max
    2 - AC 9v (1) and 12v (1) - only one at a time - 1200mA max

Yankee PS-M24 - $575 (list)
    http://yankee.com.pl/ps-m12-power-supply/?lang=en
    24 ports total, 18 ports can be used at once
    Elite unit on pure magnitude of a single device, however, at that price point, value must be questioned. Two Strymon Zumas would require less coin.

Notables that don't make the cut...(IMHO).
    MXR M238 - $149 list. Maybe "budget elite?" Unique to this unit are two variable voltage ports that range from 6 to 15 volts. The LEDs are a plus. The most troubling element is that this device uses a wall wart. That's a potential point of failure which puts this one in a lower tier. For another $30 you can get a Truetone CS12.

Yankee HS-M12 - $399 list. Versatile but in two sections you can only use 1 of the 3 ports at once. That makes this a very expensive 8-port power supply
    Yankee HS-M10 - $319 list. You have to download the set-up PDF to discover that this unit isn't close to the HSM-12 and is only $80 less..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    ryandfl likes this.
  2. rambleon

rambleon Supporting Member

I have the 1 Spot. I haven't noticed any noise. The reason I chose that was because of the number of outlets and versatility it provided. It's also cheaper than other power sources at that level (10 or more outputs).

3. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Same here. Love my CS12

4. bastian

bastian Member

blackba likes this.
  5. Mikeyx13

Mikeyx13 Supporting Member

I have the 1 Spot Pro CS12 and it has worked for a year now with no noise or issues. I just got the Zuma and an Ojai in to replace it, the 1 Spot will be going to a new board I’m building. I went with Strymon to power a Mobius, Timeline, BigSky and 2 H9’s without running low on current for the other pedals on my board. You can’t go wrong with either one, IMO

6. Chris63

Chris63 Silver Supporting Member

That looks perfect! Damn I can't do quotes. That yankee power supply looks to be the real deal.

7. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

But why do you need other pedals on your board????

8. Mikeyx13

Mikeyx13 Supporting Member

I'm a little bit ambient music, and a little bit heavy metal \M/ Have to have an AmpTweaker Tight Metal on the board too :) oh and a DD-500, love the Terra Echo sound

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    5cr33nager likes this.
  9. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

I switched from an MXR MC403 power supply to a CS12 and so far the move's been great. The new CS12 is literally half the size and weight of the older MXR and has almost as many power options too. I like the new one so much I bought a CS7 for my smaller grab and go board. Both have worked flawlessly.

NHBluesMan likes this.
  10. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

This was something I was going to mention, as I am also contemplating Zuma vs CS12...the CS12 is over a pound heavier than the Zuma, twice the weight. It's heavier than the PP2+ which I always thought was portly. Having said that, the CS12 is also $70 cheaper, so maybe I can deal with the extra pound on my already heavy pedalboard..?

11. blobe

blobe Member

i believe the yankees are the best of those.
    Yet, i'm still running my decibel eleven deluxe something and it works wonders for my needs.

Stratobuc likes this.
  12. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

Thanks for this. I hadn't even heard of Yankee before. Their power supplies are very versatile seem to be very high quality (especially the HS Expert range). If you need a lot of variable voltage and/or have AC-powered pedals, Yankee would be a good choice. Otherwise, I'm personally not seeing the value over either the Zuma or the CS12.

13. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Zuma looks cool. I had 2 (original and replacement) of the CS12s fail pretty much out of the box. Got a second replacement and didn't trust it so I sold it at a loss and got a cioks.

14. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

The Strymon definitely looks interesting. I have the CS12 and it's been rock solid for me. I can't emphasize enough how much I've enjoyed having all these power options. I love that it can power an M9 as well. Pretty fantastic.

15. Mayo5

Mayo5 Supporting Member

Are Cioks not elite anymore? I've been out of the game for a while.

16. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Well if you wanna go all out, there's always the Gurus Power 5000 which is ridiculous in its power.

17. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

All relative it seems... as someone who lugged around the huge MXR MC403 around under a PT3... the new CS12 was less than half its size and weight with similar power options. The MC403 was darn near 6 pounds, the CS12 is a little over 2. I think the Zuma is a little lighter, but certainly not to the extent of the two I swapped saving between 3-4 pounds!

jamester likes this.
  18. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

I have the CS-12 and it's worked quite well for me. I like that you can pull more than the rating on individual outputs, as long as you remain within the total output spec - which may also be true for the Zuma and Yankee(s)

19. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

The MXR iso-brick (M238) doesn't get much love here at TGP, probably because the circuit design is not considered conventional, and because it's powered by a wall-wart. I'll admit that I had my doubts about this device for quite some time before I decided to go ahead and purchase one for $120 on a Black Friday sale in 2015.

Well, I've been using it for over a year now, and it's turned out to be a fantastic product that delivers on all of MXR's advertised promises. I love that it's compact and lightweight, and has trouble-shooting LED's to diagnose problems. The wall-wart is size and weight friendly too, and has never caused my rig to have an issue in any way, shape, or form.

The MXR iso-brick has fit the bill perfectly for my odd-ball high-voltage DC pedal powering requirements, and it's enabled me to do the following:

1) Eliminate a larger, heavier, and much less-capable 14 year-old Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2.

2) Eliminate multiple and inconvenient output-hogging DC voltage and current doubling adapter cables. (These were prone to short circuit in my experience)

3) Reduce a multiple quantity of wall-warts down to just the one that powers the iso-brick.

Some folks here at TGP have voiced concern that the two potentiometers controlling the 6 to 15 volt variable outputs are subject to being accidently bumped out of adjustment. I personally don't find this to be worrisome, but a dab of hot glue between the knob and the surrounding enclosure virtually eliminates that risk. The dried hot glue can be removed later with your fingernail when you need to change the setting, and reapplied as desired. I recommend that every electronic musician invest in an inexpensive digital multi-meter for around $12 to $20, and learn how to use it. They are the perfect device for setting the iso-brick's variable voltage outputs accurately.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    tedm and RMosack like this.
  20. nibus

nibus Supporting Member