BB+ now I've had it a bit longer...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JimmyR, Apr 13, 2008.

1. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

For anyone who's interested! I have been trying my BB+ compared to my Fave OD, a Bad Cat Two-tone, the original BB, Timmy, WMB, etc - suffice to say I have a lot of ODs and most of them pretty good. I've come to the conclusion that the BB+ suits me better than most with most of my guitars - a 335, Gretsch 6120, relic Strat and Guild Starfire III.

Although the BB+ doesn't sound exactly like my Two-tone it is certainly pretty close. It does really well at those clean-to-dirty tones, where the guitar is crystal clean if played gently but bites when hit hard. The Two-tone is always going to be my standard for this kinda sound but the BB+ is so good that I would not hesitate to use it at a gig in the Two-tone's place. In fact in some ways the BB+ may even be better.

What I am liking about the BB+is that with the compression switch up on side B (the "main" OD I guess) it is really dynamic. It has more dynamic range than the original BB which gets a bit too compressed for me with the gain up. With the BB+ you have the choice - you can get some great punchy feel or a smoother, more mid-rich OD with the Comp switch down. I'm nbot a big fan of compression so for me this is fantastic, and a big bonus over the older BB which I also like. With comp off the bass strings in particular have more snap to them and the sound cuts better. It also means that when you do up the gain you still have some punch - it really is amazingly good.

And although it's generally not my thing, by using either the boost side or the comp switch you can get that endless sustain/ violiny thing very easily. The comp switches are way more useful than I would have thought. I like leaving it off side B but using it on side A (the booster) for crazily big lead tones.

I don't understand why there is not more buzz about this pedal. I think it's one of the best around these days. But then I always did like the stuff other guys didn't. If you found the BB too compressed but liked the overall tone, try this one.

2. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

But I waited almost a year for them to release it! Doesn't that count??

3. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Damn. I guess the list in my head doesn't count?

Oh well, I guess I was wrong about this pedal. I'm gonna sell it I think.

4. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Has the circuit been gooped? If so, that should be all thats required to start a feeding frenzy. Although all the world loves a swirly paint job... :D

5. Ken

Ken Member

I'm designing a new Overdrive/Distortion pedal...

First I'm gooping the components, then I swirl the outside and then I only make one unit a month so there will be waiting list...

But...Anyone who wants to be put on the waiting list has to go to my website and answer a few questions about your tone quest to see if your even worthy of even being put on the waiting list.

:banana

6. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

I've been saying for the longest time that I wish the FD2 had a compression control to dial some out. Sounds like a good pedal you have there.

7. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Oh well I'm getting there... some of the board IS gooped, there was an almost 12 month wait (no list though unless I lie a little bit) and when I throw it in the air the finish does look a bit swirly.

Nah I doubt I'll be selling it! I always did like the original BB and I really think this one is better. It has addressed the only issue I had with the BB - the compression - and sounds very good.

If I put gain on zero with master at unity, and have treble and mids at their mid-detent, bass at about 2.00 the tone is almost identical to bypassed. It means that you can start with a clean slate and modify as necessary.