BB or BB Plus vs Pinnacle 2 for higher gain playing?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Prodigy, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

I play a lot of shred-type stuff (Satriani, Vai, Guthrie Govan etc..), and I was wondering if the BB (regular or Plus) or Pinnacle would be better through a Classic 30 for this kind of stuff, as well as for blues and blues rock playing a la Joe Bonamassa, Hendrix etc...Needs to be very amp-like, without fizziness and harsh artifacts. Other suggestions for distortions are welcome, as well as OD's and distortion/OD combos that will drive a Classic 30 well into high gain. No one trick pony, thanks.

2. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I'm getting a BB later this week but another great one trick high gain pedal would be the Crunchbox.

4. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

I think the Pinnacle slays the Crunchbox IMHO. The Crunchbox just doesn't sound very amp-like and has a lot of nasty, fizzy artifacts at higher gain settings...

5. funkycam

funkycam Member

My experience has been the exact opposite.
    I couldn't get a single good sound out of the pinnacle 2, but the crunchbox v2 has been on my board for over 2 years....
    It is a 1 trick pony, but it's small, cheap & well made... good enough

6. soundbee

soundbee Member

I really like the BB with an RC after it for what I like to call "Retro-Shred". Which to me means getting a great full bodied tone without losing the effortlessness of a good shred type sound (als just the right amount of compression). Which is nothing like that 80s-90's shred sound - thin and nasally w/ scooped mids.

This combo (which is probably similar to a BB+) into a Dr Z. Maz Jr gives me that Jeff Beck 'Pork Pie Hat' sound (think 60's - 70's classic amp tone) but can then tear it up like Satch/Vai. Back of the vol a bit and get a nice "Attitude Song' vibe. Yummmm. Also works will with single coils and/or humbuckers.

YMMV

7. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

The bb and bb plus are quite different - they are opamp clipping circuits whereas the pinnacle is a jfet circuit. Basically what this means is that the bb's will be a little less 'perceived' gain (if that makes sense) where the pinnacle will have more gain overall. However, as we see above, what works for one may not work for the other. I can tell you that the sounds are drastically different from each other, and that can be a good or bad thing. :)

bw

8. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

I'm going to give this post a bump, as i'm really curious about Prodigy's question, and i'm searching for similar style of OD/Distortion tone in a pedal.

9. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Between the BB and BB+ I would deffinatly pick the BB+. It is much higher gain. I ve actually got a pinnacle coming from Wampler in a week or so. I used to own one a year ago and sold it to feed my gas problem, stupid me. I remember comparing the pinnacle with the Brownie at the time because both were supposed to be the BSIAB. I thought the pinnacle was better sounding and had way more tonal options.

Oh, forgot to mention,, I play through a classic 50, with upgraded speakers.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  10. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Are you using the same amp (C30) and same axe as each other? That could make all the difference in the world.

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Try a Lovekraft Chupacabra, a tweaked Rat pedal with a 3-way toggle. Not too compressed at lower settings, has a ton of gain which adds low end and compression as you add more gain. At higher gain settings it gets very thick and chewy sounding, cool sound for higher gained stuff.