BB pre amp observations

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Nice pedal! A little tube screamerish, as far the drive and how much drive. Definitely not as over the top rock'n that I heard on their site with Alan Hinds so that was a dissappointment. The Tone controls are nice, cut or boost feature and the volume level gives a nice boost! Has anyone else been surprised that the BB pre amps drive cranked and the volume at unity doesn't that much drive than the zendrive ( though voiced differently- as the zendrive's highs are more smoothed out).????

2. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Cary,
    I think Alan's amp was as the break-up point. I find the BB to be pretty good.

3. jbro

jbro Member

I'm with BillyK - I think in that video it was probably being played through an already dirty amp, and if my memory serves me he was playing a LP.. you'll definitely have different results with a clean amp and a single coil guitar, for example. He also may have been pushing it with the RC. The BB really is a tubescreamer with different tone controls - I think it sounds great - it's more versitile and sits better in the mix than my Keeley TS9 (that's a great pedal too, don't get me wrong). I also have an Eternity and don't consider it a "better" pedal, just a little different (and much cooler looking). Haven't tried the Zendrive, so I can't comment on that.

4. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member

I think it's actually the Other 2, the AC and RC are just Tube Screamers with Baxandall EQ and a couple of extra diodes in the loop. The BB is a little different, but that's all I know.

5. jbro

jbro Member

Check out this thread at the DIY stompboxes forum. They are all tubescreamer copies.

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

It certainly not a screamer into a clean amp, it has a nice gain range though.
    I like to push mine with the RC to give it a little more gain, sounds great.

I don't think he did in that clip, he does that with the AC, but as he said in the clip "I won't need to do that (stack pedals) now that I have the BB"

I think to call the Xotic pedals "copies" or "A Tube Screamer with different tone controls" is pretty far from the mark. They may have similar architecture but the voicing is completely different and they sound very different from a TS imo.
    A TS imparts a very distinctive coloration to your guitar's tone, the BB, and especially, the RC, do not.

I am about as far from a TS fan as you can get, I had an original TS-808 for years and never got a tone out of it that I liked, but I love the RC and BB.

7. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

Allen Hinds was using the BB into a clean Fender amp in that clip. How do I know? I asked him!! Check out the very first clip with the AC, and RC, and you will hear his dry tone. Allen pretty much uses clean Fenders all the time.

The one thing about the Xotic clips that bugs me, is that you can always hear the pick on the strings.... like the accoustic tone of the guitar. They should mike that players amps and use only that for the videos. It would be a much better representation of what the pedals sound like.

Either way, I like the Xotic stuff!

8. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

CAn we all agree that the overal gain ( drive ) isn't near the BjF DRD, tonebone ?

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Cary,
    Yup, the BB has less gain than a Tonebone.
    <edited for really bad grammar!>

10. sssmile

sssmile Member

to me most pedals 90% are all derived somewhat frome a tubescreamer. However the fuzzfactory was derived from a fuzzface, you see what those little tweaks did. So saying the BB is circuit wise similiar to a ts808, big deal!

The BB can and does do some slightly higher gain stuff. I was able to get it to sound nearly identical to my emma reezafratzitz distortion. The gain was close, the bb was a little looser sounding and had a bit more mids.