Bb preamp, OCD and proco rat

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Andresmch, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Andresmch

Andresmch Member

I 've been experimenting with these 3 pedals and I've found some interesting things but I would like to hear your suggestions on how you would stack these 3 beasts. Thanks in advance

2. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

I haven't had an OCD or a BB Preamp, but the Rat needs to go first. Even when coupled with unruly fuzz pedals I have found, and it seems to be a general rule of thumb, that the Rat needs to be first in the dirt lineup (it eats anything placed before it), unless the BB Preamp is actually used as a pre-amp which I mean is placed first to shape EQ and spike the signal going into your preamp tubes to get it took a bit quicker. If you use the BB Preamp as an "always on" type pedal I'd place it first, if it's more for flavor or used as an actual overdrive, I'd place it after the Rat. I'd go Rat > Higher gain > Lower gain, in that order, and leave the volume settings up to you, depending if you want all unified with one another to prevent spikes in volume or if you use one as a boost in any way, either to cut through the mix or get your amp to break up earlier (as opposed to overdriving it for effect).

3. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I like TS style pedals before Rats, to slam the pregain harder.

LouRossi likes this.
  4. Andresmch

Andresmch Member

Thanks for your reply, by first... You mean guitar-rat-ODs-amp or guitar-ODs-rat-amp? Jejejjejeje thanks a lot bro

5. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I don't have the Ocd anymore, but I've had the BBpreamp at the same time I had it. The Ocd doesn't gel with modulation pedals as well as the BBpre and got lost in the mix too many times to keep it. On the other hand, the BBpre and the Rat stayed in the mix. The Rat was picky too, with its position.

6. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

would not stack them... srsly! BB Preamp is a great pedal imo. Rat needs the right rig/setting and you can get a lot from it. i am using RAT on split PUs or single coils with pretty low gain and keep the filter more on the darker end... for the higher gain i prefer other fuzz or distortion sources. OCD was never my cup of tea. i am looking forward to hear what you found out.

but stacking them?

7. Lele

Lele Member

I agree that that the RAT is picky in its placement, and in the first position it works much better. Probably it's due to a different input impedance.
    I love the BB preamp and its clarity... even if recently I often replace it with the Boss OD-3 (specially good with single coils or not too powerful/bassy pickups).
    With the OCD my experience was short, because I sold it quickly. Not bad at all, or even good specially at low gain settings, but I don't remember it a lot.