BB Preamp or HBE Power Screamer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tele_jas, Jan 15, 2008.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Anyone try both of these? I'm torn between the two. They say the HBE doesn't have the "mid hump" of a TS....... and about twice the gain available. The BB is a Marshall in a pedal. I've got a coupel of TS's, I'm wanting a good "Rock" pedal and something that cleans up as well if I want to use it by it's self.

My main amp is a Dr Z Stangray (AC30 voiced amp).... I'm wanting something that doesn't accent the already heavy mids and also something that'll sound good with a Tubescreamer for more over the top gain.

I'd like to hear your opinons?

2. HBob

HBob Member

I have both and they're different. I use them with a clean amp. The BB is smoother - maybe a little thicker. The HBE is more grainy/gritty. You can get more grit by turning up the treble on the BB and smooth out the HBE by switching the toggle to the left. I don't switch it to the far right setting much. As I turn up the gain on the HBE I usually turn up the tone. It starts getting kind of dark otherwise. They both stack pretty well with other pedals and each other. Let me know if you have any questions.

3. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

The BB plus is supposed to start shipping soon!

4. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    I had a powerscreamer for quite a while and it definitely does not have the mid-hump push of a TS and definitely a lot of gain on tap.

i only played the BB once at a music shop which i thought was smoother but just a little too compressed for what i like.

the HBE, imo, would be a bit more versatile with the 3-way diode switch. it's definitely grittier than the BB and really cleans up well with guitar volume. if i had the BB, i'd probably only use it for sustain-y lead stuff - didn't get a chance to test the guitar volume dynamics on the BB though ....

5. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

The PS is much more versatile than the BB, and has more gain; the 3 clipping diodes and the fat & treble lead boosts really give it a ton of usable sounds. If you want a little more warmth & smoothness from the PS, there's an optional Burr Brown chip mod that HBE can do; I had it done to mine, and I'm happy with it.

The PS has been on my main board for years, and it's staying; the BB didn't stay very long at all.

6. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Power Screamer :AOK:

7. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Well said. PS is on my board, the BB never made it.

8. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I have an Eternity E6 as well as a Power Screamer and to tell you the truth the Screamer gets more use. WAY under-rated pedal.

9. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

That's good to know all this, Thanks!!!.... I sealed the deal for a Power Screamer yesterday. Hope it's here before my gig on Saturday. It has the "Fat mod" but not the Burr Brown mod.

10. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Well...... I got the Screamer on Saturday and played a gig with it, and I absolutely LOVE it! It quickly replaced one of my (3) tubescreamer type pedals on my board. I'm glad I got it, but there is still a void that I'm looking to fill to get just a tad more overdrive so I'm looking at adding a BB or something similar or cheaper.

But the Screamer is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.... a TS on steroids, without the huge mid hump while retaining the TS tone.

11. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

I've had my PS for about two years and love it. Glad to see it finally getting some press here.
    You might like the OCD. It's on my list.

12. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I have a Barber Small Fry on my board, right next to my Power Screamer... they compliment each other very well. :AOK