BB-Preamp - Which is in your opinion the best version? - Normal vs MB vs Comp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Enusire, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Enusire

Enusire Member

Hey guys :wave

I have two questions.

1. Are the MB and Comp versions the exactly same pedal as the normal BB-Preamp just with extras - or are they in any kind different from the normal BB-Preamp?

2. Which experiences do you have with the different versions of the BB-Preamp? Has somebody had the chance to compare all 3? Which would you recommend?

Thanks for sharing! :beer

2. Stephans

Stephans Member

I had the "normal", BB+ and Mid boost;
    Normal is the best, than BB plus, as last the BB mid boost.
    Same goes for the AC booster, I founded the normal version the best imho
    The plus versions are smoother, less character, the mid boost has something harsh in it that I coulnt get dailed out, the normal versions are great boxes

3. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

I disagree, I have played the normal BB and now own the Mid Boost. I wouldn't say the MB version is "harsh" at all, it can be dialed in to sound more aggressive that's for sure. But with the mids control dialed back to 9 or 10 o'clock, it sounds very close to the original BB. So I feel its like having a more flexible BB Preamp, rather than a totally different pedal.

4. Stephans

Stephans Member

Yep, very close, but that difference (with my amps) gave a hump somewhere around the 2500Khz, that was ehm, not realy nice.
    I used it for 2,5 years, moved on with the +, and gone back to the standard BB.
    I can image it's great with a dark amp?

5. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I play with a dark sounding amp so I'm sure that has something to do with the differences we're hearing. I think it sounds great all around, with no particular frequencies being more prominent than the others. I really like the way it compresses and with the ability to boost the mids, it makes for a great lead sound.

6. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Supporting Member

I had them all, like them a lot. But the Andy Timmons version really stood out. IMO Smoother, just a more natural feel to it. I'm not sure if it's still availiable, but they pop up once in a while....

7. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Timmons, but out of the rest, the normal is my favorite one.

8. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

They're all very good and I've had them all then I finally settled on the BB-Comp which can sound exactly like the regular BB with the toggle up, the Andy Timmons with it down and a 3rd setting in the middle with less gain and more volume.

9. Imola82

Imola82 Member

I have the BB Comp. It put the biggest smile on my face compared to the others when I tried them at the store. If you have the ability to play them all and compare, do that dude. It's the only way this (me) mediocre player can choose.

I use it in front of an always on Mojo Hand DMBL. BB PA Comp is the first OD in my chain, though sometimes I switch the Jetter TD to first OD. Sometimes I stack all 3, which is a lot of fun, I think. I never use the middle setting, only normal and comp on the BB. I'm very happy with it.

10. scolfax

scolfax Member

I had a regular, and now have a Comp. I never compared the Comp in "regular" mode to a regular one, has anyone done this? Are they the same?

11. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

12. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Personally, I like the regular. Mine is from 2005 so I don't know if there been a huge change from the new stock units. The 'Plus was cool, but i have an AC Booster I stack with the bb, so for the money I couldn't see it

13. meowmers

meowmers Member

Prefer the regular

14. lukather101

lukather101 Member

15. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

i like the comp because im a massive andy timmons fan you get three modes tho so how can you not like it. apart from the increase of cost really.

16. Enusire

Enusire Member

Thanks for your answers so far! :)

I ask myself the same question. Someone? :munch

17. Enusire

Enusire Member

Today I found a really helpful comparison-video of all 4 versions:

BB-Preamp:

1. Normal
    2. MB
    3. Andy Timmons
    4. Comp

It´s really worth watching. Trust me! :)

18. scolfax

scolfax Member

How about a link?

19. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

20. Rich_S

Rich_S Member

I've owned (1) Timmons and about (8) standard BB Pre's, and have tried the other variants at a friend's house.

I love the standard BB.