BB Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ed Reed, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Guess I'm just a sucker for a new stomp box, just ordered one. Anyone here using one? How do you like it?

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I've had one for a while now, I absolutely love it. It is a great box that can do a clean boost up to a real full on distortoin - all VERY well.

3. svanangen

svanangen Member

Really good! I've had mine for a couple of months and really like it!

4. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

All VERY well is quite an endorsment.

I've been using a Maxon SD-9 for quite a while and I think it's great. I noticed on the web sight Scott Henderson says he's replaced his SD-9 with the BB. I hope I like it that much.

Is it guitar/amp sensitive or does it work with most rigs?

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

I really like mine, especially pushed with an RC.

I use it for smooth fusioney lead tone, works great with a neck pup too.

6. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Just ordered one, should be arriving at the end of the day.

In this chain, I'm running a Barber LTD for "edge of breakup." That's going into a PedalworX Tour Pro Toggle set for light compression, medium overdrive, and I was using a Fulltone Distortion Pro (previously in front of the other 2, but now at the end of that chain), but it wasn't fitting in with what I needed from that chain, so we'll see if it will match up.

Brett

7. raz

raz Member

Same here. Just recently discovered the joys of cranking the BB's gain wide open. Not a tone for all reasons, but I'm digging how smooth it gets.

What I like about the BB and RC is that they work with all three of my amps, which are each of very different topologies. Can't say that about a lot of pedals, especially in this price range.

8. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Came late Tuesday afternoon.
    It only took as long as plugging it in and trying it to like it!

First impressions:

At bedroom levels, very smooth (almost too smooth?). It seemed to be very close in character to the TPT, but maxing out the gain and boosting the treble and bass allowed a touch of the BB's breakup to come through. More bass and treble available than you should ever need (unless you're into extremes). Very smooth but pretty grindy as well (though the clipping never gets fuzzy or harsh).

It really fits in well with the LTD and the TPT. Where the LTD has a very warm edge of breakup sound, the TPT has a very smooth, very clear OD (a la Robben Ford, Larry Carlton), the BB (again, set gain at full, slight treble and bass boost) has a thicker, more broken up OD/distortion tone, smooth compression (a little bit more than the TPT set to medium compression). So the depth of breakup progresses logically from pedal to pedal.

All three pedals allow the guitar's characteristics to come through. Although all three do clean up nicely, interestingly enough, of the three, the BB is the most transparent, and cleans up clearer than the other two while retaining some clipping (to be fair, the gain IS maxed out) both the TPT and LTD roll down to no clipping but retain a little bit of coloration to the sound.

When the gain is rolled down to minimum, the pedal becomes clean with a smooth compression.

All three pedals retain complex chord definition, and chords remained pretty defined with all three pedals on. It was after watching the Allen Hinds video demo of the BB that sold me on this one.

There was also hardly any noise with the three pedals on. With a Barber Tone Press in front of the BB, (set to unity gain, heavy sustain, blended more towards the dry signal) there was also no noticeable increase in hiss.

With the BB on, I engaged the TPT and the BB went from smooth to a little bit gritty; pushed pretty hard but still in control. The addition of the LTD to the BB yielded only a small change as opposed to when I add it to the TPT. Though I haven't gone back and tried it, I'm sure I'd et more of a noticeable change if the BB weren't already maxed out.

The switch is a little worrisome, but I'll remember not to slam it (have to remember the same ting with my ChoralFlange anyway).

I may have to order the RC and AC and build a small board around them as well, based on my liking of the BB.

Brett

9. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I've tried a ton of overdrives in the past year and the two that remain on my pedalboard are the BB and the Landgraff.

To me the BB gives you great articulation, nice low end, and the ability to get a cranked sound without increasing the overall volume level by much.

John

10. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Martin,

How's going?

I love both RC booster & BB preamp. Mostly I use my Fuchs50
    od CH... but those pedals are great. I use my BB for more gain.

Tomo

11. Unburst

Unburst Member

It's going good thanks Tomo.

Gonna drop you an email.

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

It's a desert island pedal........

jon

13. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

The BB is here and I'd say it lives up to the hype and then some. It's what I hoped the Distortion Pro and the OCD would be. Now, when I get my Timmy and my Zendrive I should be set.

NOT!