BB1 in bridge?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by douglas225, Feb 13, 2012.

1. douglas225

douglas225 Member

i typically play my GO les paul in the bridge position when playing live and hardly ever switch to the middle or neck position. i really like the sound; however, i find the BB2 to be really hot (too much output). i have played around extensively with its height, but it still wants to overdrive my amps too quickly (both my Goodsell and DRRI).

Since i use my volume control on the guitar quite a bit, i can compensate some, however, there is not much of a range between a thin cleanish sound and a saturated overdriven sound (this is what i currently get between 7 and 10 on my guitar volume).

i was thinking of swapping the neck BB1 into the bridge position since i have heard it is slightly less wound...less output. anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. douglas225

douglas225 Member

3. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

You can swap it no prob. it will have less output than a 2 or 3. IF you put the hotter bb2 in the neck all you have to do is set it lower to compensate the higher output

4. douglas225

douglas225 Member

I swapped out the BB2 for the BB1 in the bridge and i really like it so far. I am not sure of its resistance value, but it definitely has less output, but surprisingly still has plenty of bite and response. the catalyst for the change was that i wanted less output hitting the front end of my amp.

I have also found that even though i have it in the bridge and the same BB1 in the neck, i am able to balance the volume ok. Interestingly, i also swapped the neck pickup position so that the screws are pointing toward the tail piece. I find that it gives me a better middle position and less dark neck (not as much change between two p/u's).

I am going to keep this way for a while to see how i like it while playing out, but so far for the type of music i do play live, i think it will allow more flexibility in various pick up positions. However, if i played blues, i would not like the change....i like the darker, throaty sound of it the other way. I know that this change(s) is probably not for everyone, but hopefully it may help someone searching.

5. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Next LP I get, I'm either going with a BB1/2 combo. I wouldn't mind checking out a BB1 in both the neck and bridge, but I'd be afraid it wouldn't hit the amp quite hard enough.