BBE Ben Wah - I Just Ordered One

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Braciola, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

$103.00 from Amazon, I figured it was cheap enough to check one out for myself.
    (Yes, I did read up on all the Vertex Axis controversy)

Questions:

Does anyone recently purchased Ben Wah?
    How do you like it?
    I read reviews of the female jacks not holding the plugs all the way in & the problems with the pot.
    Have these issues been corrected by BBE?

2. darkphader

darkphader Member

Have one, sounds great, but I hardly ever use it so can't say anything towards its reliability.

3. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Great wah, no issues.

4. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

And you know what parts to upgrade now too :D

5. Garik Alengos

Garik Alengos Member

Stressfest -- :aok :aok ....... :D

6. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I've had one for three or four years. I love it as well.

It's held up well. Never had any issues with any parts on it. Sturdy, heavy duty, right tone, good price. What else can you ask for?

7. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Not a big wah user, but I have the ben wah and think it sounds fantastic. My favorite wah of the four or so I've owned over the years.

8. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

i use one...i like it a lot...i like it a lot better than my snow white auto wah, although they are different animals...

9. Scott57

Scott57 Member

Same here. From Amazon. About 2-3 weeks ago. Not a big wah user either but I'm happy with it. No issues/concerns. I have only two other wahs, a Vox and a Cry Baby and although I haven't tested them back to back, I believe I prefer the BBE.

10. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I just bought one last week for almost the same price on Amazon. I needed a cheap 2nd wah for my cover band board, use the Wilson Rippah Q on my main board and love it.

Quality is about what I expect for a $100 wah. When I first got it the treadle was super stiff, maybe it was just the cold, but i had to grease up the hinges to get it loose. I wish it has adjustable rocker tension like others do. I also can see where the jacks are weird, they are tight and you kind of have to force the cable in, hopefully it won't cause problems later on. Looking inside, it's not a great build quality. The little plastic guide that the pot gear runs down is all smashed up and distorted. I don't know what you call it, but it looks like really cheap thin plastic and not sturdy like my other wahs have been. Still works though. Some components do not seem soldered down very well. Again, no problems...yet.

As for the pot, I think the response from BBE was the new updated pots have a brown board and the old (occ. faulty) ones have a black board where the lugs are located. Mine has the brown (new) pot and is quiet.

The sound...well pretty great despite my gripes above. I've only used it once and now its at the practice space but I was pretty impressed with the vocal quality. I can see now why Vertex took the board and placed it in a better enclosure to deceive others into thinking its a boutique wah. I guess I'll see how it holds up to gigging.

11. scolfax

scolfax Member

I have one and it's great - except in front of my JB Fuzz Face, where it basically disappears. I haven't tried adding a buffer yet.

12. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

13. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Hmmm. Been using a killer wail but I'm looking to try something new

14. rongtr

rongtr Member

I bought mine this past year-definitely an upgrade from my Vox. The adjustable q filter really comes in handy.

15. Luke V

Luke V Member

I am really pleased with mine. I got it from amazon about a month ago. It sounds great, as mentioned above, very vocal. No problem with the jacks as it's on my board.

16. joegagan

joegagan Supporting Member

agree, i like them.

i was modding them for a while last year but quit as they aren't as fun to work on as others. here are some things i found make a good wah even better:

get rid of the input buffer. pretty similar to the dunlop buff but not needed as the pedal is true bypass. you will notice a little less hiss and a little less treble but a more vintage sound.

replace the 50k harmony control with a 100k pot. * more". works same as before if desired but also has the ~more~!

a switch to lower gain trans give less hiss/ sweeter tone also. these are some badass high gainers in there. you may want to lower the Q1 e to ground R to get a little juice back.

stock inductor is nice but others are fun to try. good luck unsoldering the 8 pin monster tho.

a few others, if i remember them i will post.

17. joegagan

joegagan Supporting Member

i had a few people complain about hiss even after the above mods, so the final solution was a hotpotz2. plastic element wah pot to replace the carbon ' others'. plastic lacks mojo and has a noticeably more plastic sound than carbon but is lower noise both when new and especially long term, where carbon does not win the endurance test.

also handy - installed a a larger-than-normal wah gear on the hotpotz2 to smooth out the super fast ramp of that part.

18. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

No "s" needed, just part. The standard only had cosmetic changes and the pot was the only change in the NOS.