BBE Boosta Grande: Anyone using this pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Frank Speak, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I tried it today and liked it. I also tried out a Fulltone Fat Boost 3. It seemed more like an o/d pedal than a boost. I've thought about playing with a booster pedal with my Germino for kicks and grins.

2. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

I've been using a Boosta Grande for a few years now. It's a fantastic boost pedal. I like to use it a few different ways, depending on the application, gig etc.
    For live applications I like to use it as a lead boost at the very end of my pedal chain (closest to the amp). I will run my amp nice and clean so that even with the boost engaged the amp stays clean but the volume will increase. If I'm running my TS9 for crunchy rhythm I will use the boost to give me a good lead tone and volume increase.

Other times I like to run the amp at just breakup then use the Boosta Grande to push it over the edge. Since it is a clean boost, the increased boost doesn't color the amp in anyway and you get really nice organic overdrive.
    They are great pedals, built extremely well and I think they are pretty reasonable in price. Overall I really like the BBE pedals.

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Thanks for the review. I used to have a sonic maximizer and liked it; not sure why I sold it. I know BBE always builds a quality pedal. I'm looking for something to give that extra push without changing the amp. I played with the Boosta today on a Fender Hot Rod DeVille. That amp doesn't sound much like my Germino. It's not a bad amp, just doesn't sound much like a Marshall. Thus, it was hard to dial in a drive sound that sounded like my Germino pushed. But, I did pay attention to the effect the Boosta had on the natural sound of the amp's overdrive and I didn't notice a change in drive. It didn't add compression, fizz, etc... It made a little more hairy, but it was the same texture as the amp. I liked it.

The Fulltone Fat Boost wasn't bad either, but it cost considerable more money.

4. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Supporting Member

A friend in another band uses one. He has it in the loop of his amp and uses it for a solo boost. It sounded good the last time I saw them.

5. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

I think you can score a Boosta Grande on eBay for really cheap. I just picked up a sweet BBE Free Fuzz on eBay for $35 bucks. If watch eBay you can usually find them for a very good price.
    I didn't like my Boosta Grande through my NOS Blues Junior but that was probably because all I was doing was boosting the sound of a crappy sounding amp. Through my Egnater Tweaker this thing is perfect. No coloration, totally organic boost and super clean.

6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

"I didn't like my Boosta Grande through my NOS Blues Junior but that was probably because all I was doing was boosting the sound of a crappy sounding amp."

I'd say you figured out your own problem. That amp is atrocious sounding, IMO. I'm watching Ebay.

7. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I have one & I love it. I have a great sounding Carvin MTS head that doesn't have quite enough gain. The Boosta Grande fixed that. I use the Sonic Stomp too.

8. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I've been researching the last couple of days and these things get confusing pretty quick. I checked out the Fat Boost (Fulltone), the LHS Banana Boost (online), the MXR (2 models). They all have a tale about why theirs is the best (obviously), but the different types; "FET", etc... starts making my brain hurt. I also came across a EH Nano LPB-1 that was priced real good. I wonder how it would compare to the BBE. I also came across 3 different models from Keeley. One was a Time Machine something or other. Unfortunately, I have a tendency to start going overboard with things and thinking too much about the stuff, and the next thing you know I end up spending more money than I should. Basically, I'm an indecisive person when it comes to gear.

I should probably just buy the BBE and be done with it. I played it. I liked it. What's to think about? Lol

9. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

I had one awhile back when they were blue. I sold it thought since I wasn't really using it as a boost and just had it on the whole time.