BBE Sonic Maximizer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by backaxe, Feb 27, 2008.

1. backaxe

backaxe Member

Hey guys, just picked up a used BBE Sonic maximizer, without paperwork. For those of you that use them, where do you put it in your signal chain?
    Before the amp, between the amp and cab, in the effect loop, or where? I haven't even seen it yet, but it will be at practice tonight, and would appreciate your input. Thanks! greg

ps...I run a '68 Dual Showman through different cabs, depending on the situation....

2. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I have a Sonic Stomp on my pedalboard. It is the last pedal in my chain. It does a great job of adding clarity, which really comes across in a band context, especially when you mic your amp and run it through the PA. I like it better for clean and mid-gain sounds than I do for high-gain which ends up being a little to hi-fi sounding. I run the two knobs at 12:00 to start with and then adjust to taste to add or reduce low- and high-end. Really a great global EQ to have at the end of your effects chain. This is the only way I've ever used it (into amp's input). Don't run it between your amp and cab; it is meant to be used with instrument cables between guitar and amp or in an amp's FX loop. Good luck with it!

3. reo73

reo73 Member

Ditto for me. I run it right before the amp after all my effects.

4. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

Same here and only on clean tones. It gets too harsh on gainy tones for my taste.

I have EJ's clean tone nailed with a TC G-Major and the BBE. It makes your strings sound perpetually new all the time. Great piece of gear.

5. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Ditto on the perpetually new sounding strings. I played a gig last weekend with my Suhr Classic through my pedalboard into a 1x12 combo set to hot clean. The strings on the guitar were pretty old and tired, but they sounded brand new to my ears through my setup. Pretty incredible!